Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, April 26, 2010

My arrival in Hervey Bay

I am blessed and I don’t deserve this. I feel like I am at a Caribbean resort because the temperature is so splendid. There’s a touch of humidity in the air and the sun is still strong. Both the pool at my villa and the ocean’s waters have warm water. I tried both today. It has rained for days upon days, but on the day I arrived the sun was shining brightly with a few wisps of clouds.

The folks at Xavier Catholic School

I was greeted so warmly by Mr. Kerry Swann and Bern. As soon as we arrived, we traveled to a teacher’s house for coffee. He just renovated the house in back of his former house and it is so spacious and airy. It is beautiful construction. The hardwood floors are made of the second most durable gum tree. They have a great design to their new home.

Afterwards, we traveled to the south side of Hervey Bay for lunch with other teachers and administrators. The meal was terrific as I had grilled Barramundi and a few low carbohydrate brews. Very tasty. I can’t remember all the names: Loretta (Kerry’s wife), Di, Carmel, Brendan (Ignatian Spirituality coordinator), and Glen(?). The al fresco dining with the warm breeze made for such a pleasant day.

Afterwards I moved into my holiday villa and settled in for a little rest. Why is it that Americans do not allow for naps? Our work productivity would be improved so much. I was struck by the nice design of the luxury apartment.

In the afternoon, I met Kerry and others (primarily from the Star of the Sea School) at Hoolihans to watch some of their national sport. I can not quite remember the difference between Rugby League and the AFL. This one had the two goal posts instead of the four and you did not have to kick the ball after every 10 meters. It seems like the more difficult game. I am just amazed at how bruising these games are in light of the polite, kind, civilized people who are the Australians. The pints of Guinness though hit the spot.

Dinner at Hoolihans was very nice. I had a Kilarney steak and some chips. I had the most pleasurable day meeting so many kind people of Hervey Bay. I am fortunate to be here with them.

The town

Hervey Bay is a collection of small villages that sprang up along the coast. The main street runs along the ocean with small privately-owned shops and restaurants. The bay is miles upon miles of beach with piers and walking trails. We are very near to the Fraser Island, which is the largest sand island in the world. In the middle of the vast island are tropical rain forests. Cumulus clouds assemble over the center of the island and provide the rain, but the coastal areas get much sunshine. I may get there this coming weekend as we celebrate Labor Day. Fraser Island and the Great Barrier Reef meet the Pacific Ocean but provide shelter and warmth for Hervey Bay. It is a great whale watching area and there are dolphins and a few sharks, but it is very safe to swim.

Along the main road, the shops are on the land side of the road. The town was very wise in creating an esplanade on the ocean side of the road. The esplanade provides a walking and bicycle trail along the seashore, and the trees provide shelter from ocean storms that could damage the sugar cane crop. It provides scenic beauty as you step through the many paths to the sandy beaches. The tropical colors of the houses add to the beauty of the land. I used portions of the exercise equipment that dot the walking trails. This morning I probably walked 8 kilometers. Unfortunately I left my pedometer in the apartment.

My fortunate schedule

I arrived in Hervey Bay on Anzac Day, April 25th, and enjoyed a very full day of activities. Monday is a national holiday. Later in the week, several of the teachers are attending a conference so I told the schedule will end up being rather light. We have another long weekend next weekend as Labor Day is celebrated.

Preparations for tomorrow

Today feels like a continuation of my retreat. I spent some time playing some music that I used on retreat and it brought back many good memories. I spent time praying for my brother tertians who are now dispersed and I prayed for Adrian and Joe, our tertian instructors, who are incredible people and have provided for us so well. Gosh, I know that I will miss them all when it is time to return stateside.

Tomorrow is Peter Canisius Day and we live at Canisius College. My other blog has a nice prayer written by Peter Canisius. Many blessings to those who are living and working at Canisius College in Pymble.

I am having dinner tonight with someone from the school. I will have to balance the joyful eating with new friends with a healthy lifestyle so I can keep my weight down. Thank God I have the esplanade to walk each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment