Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Dark Night's Walk

I had a very comfortable sleep last night and I arose ready for my full day with retreatants.

The food here in Gloucester is very good. The other night we had lobster tails and a delicately cooked steak to greet the tertains as they began their 30-day retreat.

My mailed package from Australia via Honolulu arrived and I have been able to sift through the contents. It brings back many fond memories of my time in Australia. Gee. I wish that continent was closer.

I watched the frisky seals splash on the rocky coast of Gloucester. It seems that every day I visit the ocean something is different about it whether it is the color of the sea, the height of the surf, the crashing waves, or a rock that has split open from the constant pounding. I even notice something different about the forest when I pass through the many acres.

Tonight I walked along the silent road that leads into and out of Eastern Point. The moon is very bright so it was able to light the way. I liked it when the beams of light filtered through the branches. It was somewhat haunting. The air temperature is perfect with cool nights and warm days. I could smell that someone lit a fire in the house fireplace as the chill might have necessitated it for some people who like very warm houses. I then walked by another house where a group of friends were having a cookout. Even though I was full, the smell of chicken sizzling on a grill always scintillates my taste buds.

I walked to the mansion-museum that was having an open house for the neighborhood. I arrived late and was able to talk with a few folks. As I arrived a man picked up his guitar and sang "The Girl from Ipanema" for me. How lovely. I had never been serenaded like that before. He teaches music at Philips Andover and he has played in a band called Beatlejuice (even before the movie came out.) He was a lovely fellow. His best friend, Delp, was the lead singer in a band called Boston in the 1970's and 80's. He then played a melancholy song about his cat who died recently.

I am settled in for the night and will begin to pray over my homily for Mass on Monday.

Tomorrow the Jesuits honor men who have jubilees. The celebration will be at Boston College High School and it is always a good time to honor who have given much of their lives in service to the church. Good on ya, jubilarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment