Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bearing Down

The old saying goes, "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb," but today will not be the case. In fact, we are due to receive 6-12 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. It makes for a nice April Fool's Day joke by Mother Nature upon us. However, the snow won't stay around long at all. Temperatures are to be near 50 over the weekend and into next week. We might as well just sit back and enjoy this one. Winter is coughing one last breath. Spring can come. I'm happy to turn the calendar's page.

In that spirit, the Boston Red Sox begin their new season tomorrow. Spring is surely here - even though they will be far away from Fenway Park. They travel to Dallas-Fort Worth to play the Rangers.

We finished a retreat this morning. Though it was a light one, I needed a two-hour nap at the end of it. So much energy is wrapped up in caring for others that it takes its toll on my energy. It was peaceful around the retreat house when the office staff went home. The silence was so enveloping. I made myself a cup of French Vanilla coffee and sat in the silence.

We are getting ready for Holy Week. We have one more 8-day retreat that begins next week and then we slow down for Holy Week services. The pace will not be frenetic and I'll have a chance to feel engaged in Christ's movements. I'm hopeful that it will be a reflective time where I can process all the things that went on within the past year.

My project of clearing the vines at the Stations of the Cross is progressing. It is difficult work. I have opened up much space so that the sun and wind can get into the thicket of bushes to dry it out. Many picker bushes are now cleared and the property looks really nice. A thick area of bittersweet vines is almost impassable in some areas. I take a little piece away each day. It doesn't seem like I am making a great dent though I exert so much effort, but over time I can see some slight improvement. Once I break through a certain area, the worst part will be over. I'm delighting in the smaller areas that seem to be thriving with the sun that hasn't reached the area in years. Why do I take on such projects?

This weekend I'll attend a conference on Reconciliation at Boston College. I suspect it will be very engaging. I'll also catch up with some good friends and take in a concert: St. John's Passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment