Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rain, rain go away

Steady rain and overcast skies have blanketed New England for the past week and it shows no sign of letting up. Rain is expected for the next four days too. It is bleak. While directing a retreat, no one has been able to go outside and get exercise. I lament that I cannot get my yardwork done. I'm so used to spending at least an hour outside and getting physical exercise. Besides, I want to finish off the drain pipe.

I urged the retreatants not to give up on their retreat tonight. It is the last night and the stormy bleakness has worked on people to have them lessen their prayer. I want them to continue because they don't often get a chance to spend time alone with God. I want them to see it as precious. If a person unilaterally decides one's retreat is over, he or she may be disrespectful to what God is communicating. Courage and energy are what is needed. Ignatius was a fan of those attributes. Persevere in prayer.

I will be sad to see this group of guest retreat directors leave. They will come back some day.

My saving grace this week was to go out on three consecutive nights for dinner with friends. It added a needed break to my week. Tomorrow, I will see additional friends for dinner. Anyways, Chorus North Shore is a nice diversion as well. I am impressed with the goodness of the people in the group. They are all very good singers and it is fun to try my best with them. The concert is in two and a half weeks and we are just about ready. Carmina Burana is an aggressive program to sing, but our director/conductor has everything under tight control.

I think of all the people who have asked prayers. I remember them at Mass. The list is long though. I lift them up to the Lord. I wish all goes well for those who need the nearness of God to comfort them and to take away their fears. Life is very hard. We have to make the best of each day because it is precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment