Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tampa Bay

I have spent the week at the Franciscan Retreat Center in Tampa directing a week-long retreat that is mainly comprised of religious sisters, many of whom just finished their academic year. It is quite a nice building that sits on a large parcel of land on a river that leads to Tampa Bay. Many oak trees and cypress trees dot the property and they are covered by Spanish moss, which looks nice but is an insidious parasite. Strange looking ducks come out at night and I’ve discovered a white raccoon in the drainpipe that feeds into the pond where alligators once lived. I haven’t been able to get outside much because I have been rather busy. It has been hot with no sight of rain on the horizon. But alas, as I type this I see lightning in the distance and a few drops are falling.

I’ve had a full load of retreatants to see this week plus presiding at Mass each day. We’ve offered the sacrament of reconciliation and had a couple of guided meditations. It has kept me busier than I ever thought it would. Preaching twice takes some time too and of course I have to update my blog. It has been a pleasant experience though I know that I am good and tired¬¬ – a tiredness that is well-earned.

Tonight the retreat center staff went out for dinner at a nice Italian restaurant near the bay. It was quite lovely and a fitting way to say thanks to the hard work and dedication of the retreat directors. I have enjoyed coming to know the retreatants. They always grow on me so much.

Otherwise, tonight is a terrific night for Boston sports.

The Boston Red Sox beat Tampa Bay Rays with Josh Beckett pitching a one-hitter.

The New England Revolution drew a tie in their soccer game.

And The Boston Bruins just won the Lord Stanley Cup over the Vancouver Canucks by a score of 4-0. This is their first cup since 1972.

And now it is pouring in Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment