Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bracing for Irene

Hurrican Irene will turn into a tropical storm tomorrow as it hits New England. We will miss most of its impact in Gloucester as the storm is projected to hit 75 miles west of us. However, we will get much of the 75 miles per hour wind and great sea swells.

Today was supposed to be intermittent showers, but we got socked with rain. I went to the first of the double-header of the Red Sox games that experienced two rain delays. The Sox were winning handily (9-2) as they went into the delays. It was a game that had a little of everything in it. The sweet Italian sausage sandwich was very tasty amd the beer was cold (though the containers were small and the prices high.) Jane, my host, and I ate chocolate and vanilla swirled soft-serve ice cream in the pouring rain. It would have tasted better when the sun was out. I brought my camera to take pictures, but I had a little mishap with it. Anyways, it was a great day.

I arrived home as the heavy rain dissipated and the fog set in. It was difficult to believe that Irene was not already here. The rain-saturated ground looks very green, but it can be a bad pre-condition before the winds come. The trees can become top-heavy and may tumble in the great winds. The retreat house, though, is a fortress and will withstand strong winds and rain. I did not get to complete my pruning.

The air is heavy with salt. I can smell the ocean throughout the house. It is very strong, which is unusual. While no wind is present, the waves are already crashing. The waves have been unusually quiet this summer. I suspect I will hear the rhythmic flow throughout the night. It is soon time for bed. The storm begins in the early dawn. I'm sure I'll be awake by 6:00 a.m. to check to see Irene's progress.

Ironically, Irene means peace. I think her sister, Serena, will follow her on Monday when it is supposed to be sunny at 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

No comments:

Post a Comment