Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fresh Bread

I received some nice fresh-baked bread today: whole wheat, semolina Italian, and an olive loaf. It is so nice to eat fresh bread. Very tasty. Now I just need a little more Vegemite.

We had a tasty lunch today. We had okra-like cucumbers that were stuffed with rice and meat. It tasted quite nice. When I asked what it was, the cook gave a certain name for it. When I asked him to speak slower, he pronounced a completely different name. Dios mio.

I traveled to the Mecca Mall today to pick up an alarm clock and a regular clock for my office. I enjoyed the visit. It is a mall on five floors with a movie theatre in it. Several U.S.-owned stores are in the mall, including several fast food markets like Cinabon, Subway, KFC, Popeyes, Burger King and McDonalds, Pizzahut, and several more. There's a donut shop that has the same lettering as Dunkin Donuts, but with different colors. I almost bought a Starbucks coffee, but I just wasn't sure if I would get a decaffeinated coffee. I visited a store to figure out what to do about a phone.

I think I have a solution for road rage in the U.S. The court's judicial system ought to send delinquent drivers to Jordan for a month. Their penance will be to drive on the roads for four hours a day.

I do laugh at what I am doing at daily Mass. I know Jesus has to be in the center of things because I am saying Mass for four Italian-Arabic speakers, three French-Arabic speakers, and maybe 4 or 5 Tagalog-English speakers. Somehow it all works, but I do take time to prepare a homily. Maybe Jesus is the only one who hears it, but I still prepare.

It's all fun.


8 comments:

  1. You made it to Mecca Mall - five stories of shopping-mania. And I have been to that very Starbucks. I don't like to go to Starbucks when I'm abroad, but that is where we ended up.

    I love the thought of you preparing for liturgy, making sure your homily is ready and then just putting it out there. The language of your commitment and your heart are no doubt understood by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mecca Mall is quite large, I found out. I'll have to go to nearby City Mall soon. I'll try the Starbucks sometime as well. I'm more a Dunkin Donuts fan.

      I played some music for liturgy today and people came because they wanted to hear the music. It was something special for them. This is quite an experience.

      Delete
  2. It's all grist to the mill ! Your tales show a great sense of engagement and even if you are getting "lost in translation", I hope and pray your work in this part of God's great vineyard will bear fruit. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met some English-speaking men today - one from the US; the other from Canada. They are here to learn Arabic.

      I pray some fruit is borne too!

      Delete
  3. I remember listening to a 45 minute (!) sermon in Japanese at a 5 am service in a Buddhist temple about this last year. I don't speak more than very minimalist Japanese, but still found the clear enthusiasm and preparation to be enlightening. May it be the same for your congregation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Michelle. I played music this morning for the North American martyrs. People were excited to come and hear it. I also set up a little display with candles. They enjoyed the touch.

      Delete