Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stale Bread

Every day when our daily bread gets stale, we place it in a paper bag near the trash can in the kitchen. I have been diligent in doing so because I figured our chef collects them to feed the birds when he takes his family on a picnic on Fridays. With six children, I'm sure each one of them would have fun calling the birds nearer to themselves and daring to see who could get the closest. However, I was more than surprised to learn that he collects the bread to give it to the Egyptian trash collectors each week so they can have something to eat!

I visited one of the government hospitals to visit a parishioner's daughter. I am very thankful for the hospitals in the U.S., though I never stayed in one. These hospitals are certainly adequate, but the patients stay three in a room separated by a flimsy curtain. The beds do not have white linens or blankets. They have whatever blankets and sheets are available. The pillows are soft square foam blocks inserted into pillowcases. No phone, no TV, no amenities. I would be bored stiff if I couldn't get up and walk around. There is a doctor for the day. You just have to try your luck. I only was able to see one section of the hospital and the guard who brought me up to the patient heavily smoked a cigarette all the way to the her room.

On the way back to the Jesuit Center, I spotted an ambulance with its sirens going off. I tried to pull over, but no one would let me through. No one would budge for the ambulance. Drivers don't want to give up any space possible. The same happens for police cars. No one moves over because they will lose their coveted spaces. Unbelievable.

So, I came back to the Center and wrote three letters to put in the post. I asked our receptionist for the price of a stamp for these Amman-based letters. He looked at me quizzically and went to get the Center's director. He said, "No problem, Father." I figured I would pay him for stamps later. Instead, the receptionist was asked to drive to these three places to drop them off. Jordan does not have mail delivery and people don't send letters. Oh, I felt bad for making this guy drive to those three places. I would have done it according to a more lenient time schedule. I'm learning every day.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Every person has to go to the Post Office to collect their mail. We don't have mail delivery in Jordan.

      Delete
  2. I was struck by the way in which we would all assume that the bread was for the birds when, in fact, it was saved for children. How little I understand the desperation of some parents in our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People need to survive and they can become very industrious. What's the saying: Necessity is the mother of invention?

      Delete