Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, November 12, 2012

The First Rain - Yuck

We received the first bit of rain this weekend. Though clouds have threatened rain for the past week, we finally received a few moderate periods of rain. It was mostly light rainfall, but as you looked at the streets you would have thought flooding was possible. Torrents of water rushed down the jebels looking as if soap was foaming up in the stream. Often these rains carry mud with it so it is not a clean rain. The rain highlights the litter that is on the ground. I laughed that everyone was bundled up as if it were 25 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm told I ought to be cold because summer is over, but it is hovering around 66 degrees Fahrenheit so, to me, short sleeves are still permissible to wear.

I'm sure the soil is benefiting from the rain because everything is eerily dry, but it is unaccustomed to rain that most of it run off and goes down into the wadis. I want to catch some of it so it can be used for irrigation of our gardens. I'm hoping that soon some of the browner plants will show tinges of green again. Maybe I have to wait for spring.

The clouds make everything very gloomy in ways I've never seen before. The monochromatic houses look mud-washed during the day. I'm just grateful for the colorful lights on the city buildings at night.

In the midst of it all, my new Sunday night tradition has taken a hit. I've enjoyed setting aside Sunday nights after evening Mass to come home and relax in silence. Everyone is gone and I can relax with popcorn. I've found an ESPN channel that shows a football game and the past three weeks have featured the New England Patriots, except for the bye week. But eating the remnants of popcorn, I chewed on a kernel that hit something in my mouth strangely. It felt like I hit a null piece of a tooth. Later this week, I realized my onlay cracked and fell out. I've lived in a some fear about the quality of Jordanian dentistry. Fortunately, one of my parishioners is a dentist who seems like a very responsible man with his craft. He referred me to the dentist next door to get a crown to replace the onlay. He seems good enough. I'll know for sure next week when the permanent crown is installed.

I miss the comforts of home, but I think I'll be O.K.

After the dentist this morning, I went to the supermarket to pick up some toiletries. As I was checking out, the cashier sent me to the customer service desk. I thought I had violated a protocol because I didn't buy food, just toiletries. The security man asked for my ticket, examined it, and then gave me a selection of cards from which to choose. He asked me to scratch a certain area that was highlighted "heater." He said, "Good. I need your license please," with a deadpan expression on his face. Two men came rushing over and asked me to sign some forms. Then minutes later they returned with a heater that I had won. They wished me congratulations and finally smiled. It was good timing as the air conditioner/heater just broke in my office yesterday.

Fortunately, small things keep taking care of themselves. I had to be extra patient while these events unfold. I know fear is not faith. I must becoming more trusting of matters I don't understand.

4 comments:

  1. John, there are so many seemingly little things that make up our lives and aren't really very little at all when we experience them. It must have been concerning when you were "pulled over" in the supermarket. Then the concern about the dentist is very real. You are in my prayers. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These small items becomes much larger when we can't communicate and we don't know just how much we can trust. When I trust in small things, I get disappointed - like trying to get directions to a gas station. If one doesn't trust in small things, how can one trust in larger areas?

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your tooth and the trust issues are perfectly understandable. I would have been pretty scared at the events in the supermarket too. Being prudent and cautious in a foreign land makes very good sense. Blessings and prayers !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. Everything here is moment by moment. The people are wholly friendly and much less violent than in the U.S., but the U.S. is all I know!

      Delete