Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Adele and me

It is a beautiful morning. I went to bed early with the full moon beaming into my eyes and I awoke fairly late this morning. After going to the rooftop to do some prayers, I came downstairs to cook breakfast sausages and pancakes for our guests. Then I set out for a morning walk. I grabbed my Ipod and Adele and I started walking.

She was a great Christmas gift. I walked into the heart of Abdali district, which is right below the Jesuit Center in the wadi. Two young girls were sitting out on a lawn talking with each other. I then passed by a section of the square where wonderful aromas were coming from inner-city restaurants. One place looked particularly good as they were serving panini sandwiches. I hadn't seen those here before.

Adele and I continued on as we passed the courts and the Ministry of Education and other governmental buildings. Many lawyers and professional class people were frequenting the area. It was nice to see well-dressed, well-groomed people at work. I realize I mostly see the people who hang out on the streets or are walking alongside traffic. I was glad to see the professional class in action. Lots of BMW's.

I passed by three complexes that will redefine downtown Amman. New towering hotels, apartment complexes, a mall and anchors stores are being built and the construction footprint is massive. In ten years, property values around the Jesuit Center will be astronomical. I wonder if gentrification happens in a city like Amman. 

We continued on to Shmesani where a number of hotels and small-scaled shops are located. I realized that thought I had been dragging, I began to get second wind. I think I walked 6 miles. I have to do this more often. There's also an article in the Jordan Times about an organization called "Walking Jordan," that sponsors trips around the city.

The temperatures are low 60's so it is very pleasant. I got hit by a van that was trying to park. As I banged into his van because of his surprise action, he began to bark. Adele and I just didn't care. We kept walking along.

4 comments:

  1. John, every day you have new adventures but please be more careful when you see someone parking!! I also really enjoy my iPod which I've had for a little bit but it is marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, I am very careful when I'm walking. There was no way for anyone but the driving to see this possible collision. I did not see this happening at all. No way possible. I'm am far from reckless, but this is the way of life in Jordan. Human life is cheap. Getting to a spot first is much more important, even if it means that one just intends to sit outside smoking cigarettes all day long.

      The IPod is handy. Where would I be without music?

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're getting out to explore and I hope it was more a bump, than a full on hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a bump. These drivers are reckless and the van swung into a parking spot at full speed - no signal, no horn, no shouting. He just wanted his spot so he could have a place to sit for a few hours and smoke cigarettes.

      It was good exploring. Tomorrow, I'll try to walk by the Museum of Fine Arts.

      Delete