Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, December 8, 2012

I'm on the top of the world...

During the Sri Lankan party today, I heard the tune of the Carpenter's, "I'm on the  top of the world, looking down on creation, and the only explanation I can find..." I thought that I had not heard this song since the mid-70's, but they kept the tune and inserted their own lyrics. It was a hoot. I can't wait until the ethnic dancing begins. The woman are all dressed up and ready to go...

The dancing was wonderful. They are very colorful people and elegant in appearance.

One professional looking woman was standing over her priest and talking to him in an animated voice. She was certainly happy to have the chance to tell him her story. She did not waver in her perseverance because she very much wanted him to hear what she had to say. I loved watching her features. In contrast, he did not look up. He played with his Iphone and did not respond to anything she had to say. How sad for him. I wanted to hear her story.

The music of the party was loud, the food was interesting, the colors were cheerful. They all seemed to really enjoy getting together with one another.

The day was rough. Mass went very well. The parishioners enjoyed the two-minute catechism and the homily. They said their Mass finally seemed spiritual. I worked with the new music for the choir. They are coming along. They are doing their very best.

At rehearsal, I broke the group into three sections so we could do rounds in Dona Nobis Pacem. The first group did fine, the second group was a struggle, the third group came along well enough. I went back to the second group and I pitched them a C. They were to imitate me. I got back a B, G, F, C minor and a host of other sounds.

The next group of rehearsals went well. After an hour and a half, they all said, "Father, you look tired." I said, "Does that mean you are ready to go?" "Yes, Father." "Well, then, tell me you want to go. Don't tell me I am tired."

All in all, I am proud of what the choirs are doing. More and more people are joining.

I'm trying to give them the proper responses to say. All the parishioners want a photo with Father. They keep saying, "One last one, Father," to which I reply, "You don't mean that. Just ask, 'May I have another one, Father.'" Their 'one last one' means that 25 more photographs are intended to be taken.

We have three guest this week: an older priest from Bethlehem who comes for rest and relaxation, a visiting New England province Jesuit, and an Egyptian scholastic who is very concerned about the affairs of Morsi and his fellow Egyptians. My cherished silence is gone. I'm also wiping down tables, turning off lights, and washing dishes.

Now, I have to work on the reconciliation services, the Christmas party prayer, and a homily for Monday's wedding. What an upcoming week this will be. The first Christmas party is Saturday.


2 comments:

  1. John, your enjoyment of music and of your people speaks so loudly to them. It is indeed a busy time for you but your love of God and of your people will carry you through. It is so wonderful to live vicariously through these vibrant posts which make me feel like I'm right there - though you would be asking me just to mouth the words in choir!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda. The choir is coming along fine. You would fit in nicely with them. They are enjoying the music, which makes it doubly delightful.

      Delete