Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, December 21, 2012

My solo singing debut

Last night at the Jesuit Center party, I made my solo singing debut. The first mode of entertainment was a professional singer in Arabic. He was smooth, clear, articulate and engaging. It was nice to hear Arabic communicated so effectively. He had a nice style.

I was asked to sing a capella, which is not easy to do. I feel very exposed when I sing in this way. At least if I had some instrumentation to assist me, the song can be communicated better. I received warm applause and kind compliments. Much work to do. However, I did it. After singing "The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came" and "Of the Father's Love Begotten," I had the Filipina choir join me in singing "Mary's Song" and "Dona Nobis Pacem." They did a nice job. They have come a long way in just one month of rehearsing. I'm so proud of them.

The Jesuit Center party was nice. We were able to meet some nice people, many of whom have difficult stories to hear. We keep striving. We go forward. It was a nice night for everyone. Christmastime suspends our sorrows and we can look to the Lord and to the goodness of humanity for some relief. I feel like I am experiencing Christmas.

This morning it is raining. For Jordan, it is a heavy rain. I'm always glad to see the rain. This is the day of the year with the shortest amount of daylight. I feel well-rested today. I think the weight of singing solo weighed heavier on me that I realized. Now, onto Christmas liturgies.

I am very pleased with the reconciliation services. This is just a beginning of altering the idea of reconciliation with the parishioners. It will build. As I offer it more often throughout the year, people will realize that the sacrament is available for them. I like it because while Mass is a public sacrament, reconciliation is a personal one. This is where real change comes about. This is where people realize Jesus is there to redeem and free them.


4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a hard thing to do - sing a capella, like that! How great that it worked out and how great that the choir is coming along too. God bless you all!

    When I got to that last paragraph everything shifted. The you expressed the words about reconciliation, change and redemption moved me deeply because they are so true. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, it was difficult to keep time, sing, play the drums, and direct you 7-year old girl to play the triangle. By the end of the day, I'm tired. I play the drums tomorrow. I've never done this before this weekend.

      Reconciliation moves me a great deal. It is a sacrament of privilege.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your solo singing debut. God is always asking us to stretch out of our comfort zone and it is good for us to do so.

    Reconciliation is such a beautiful sacrament. As someone relatively new to the Catholic expression of the Christian faith, I don't have the baggage that some have with regard to reconciliation and I experience this sacrament in a very positive way - such cleansing with a human touch. I can certainly go directly to God for forgiveness but there is such a healing in sharing openly with a person who can help us to understand and then healing in experiencing the absolution. It is an incredible gift from God. I pray that your people will embrace this redemption of our Lord in a wholehearted manner. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both singing and reconciliation take us from our comfort zones. I'm glad that you experience it so positively. It is one of the best kept secrets of our faith.

      Delete