Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Changeable Moments

I awoke this morning with great enthusiasm for the day as everything seemed fresh. I went to Ben Yehuda shopping district to take some photos. I didn't take many because I felt intrusive even though many others had cameras.

I quickly began to compare Jerusalem to Amman to the U.S.A. I enjoyed seeing the signs for the Irish pubs and Guinness. It seems natural to have alcohol advertised as a complement to a meal. I am not much of a drinker but I realized that Jerusalem feels like a much easier place to live than Amman. Alcohol is forbidden for Muslims, though they do drink.

I stopped by an art gallery because I was attracted to the bright colors. I chatted with the vendor
for a while and I considered the possibilities of having bright artwork at the Jesuit Center in Amman. We are devoid of color.

The streets near the Jesuit house are filled with artist galleries. I wanted to enter them because we really don't have much artwork in Amman. I'm not a fan of Bedouin art even though they do have a certain flare and beauty in their own right. It just is not my taste. I just wanted to look.

I must frustrate vendors because they are in business to make a sale. I'm not in a position to buy. I am interested in ideas of making art. I felt enlivened to walk around and just glance, while making sure people knew I would not purchase anything. It is easier to avoid going into galleries because sellers will try very many ways to hook you in their pursuit of a sale. The concept of freedom doesn't factor into their day.

As I walked along, I regretted wearing a jacket. I had to talk it off because I perspired too much. 

Here are some of my observations on the day: Freedom is important. Though I have flexibility in Amman, I realize the many ways I feel culturally restricted.

Amman just doesn't have great variety of shops or restaurants. You can find one of two burger joints while there are dozens in Jerusalem. Amman has a few indoor malls that are nice, but the nicer shops are accessible in only well-to-do neighborhoods.

The people of Jerusalem have happier eyes. They seem to enjoy life and have faces of contentment. There is much less noise and blaring car horns. Jerusalem has a leisure class while Amman's is hidden. I think Ammanites go elsewhere for their leisure.

A leisure class society needs wide open spaces and parks. Central Park in NYC is a haven for thousands of people each day. People need a place where they can go and relax. It has to be clean and have shades of beauty to it. Jerusalem has plenty of gathering spaces where people can people-watch, interact with one another socially, and find common interests. Pedestrians malls do not exist in Amman.

Reading is a leisure class activity. I realized how much fun I had taking out my book and reading while sipping a cup of coffee. Others were doing the same. It meant that we trusted our environment.

Self-care and self-respect are important. It means you will typically be well-dressed and well-groomed. Self-respect also means you respect the needs of others. Many people in Jerusalem enjoy healthy life-styles and healthy living is promoted. Many of the people are tall. There is a sense of good health and good care for self.

The desert is a harsh climate. It affects the way of life dramatically in Jordan. The Bedouin style of life is more present than I realized. It is foreign and isolating to me.

Jordanians are functional and practical, which lessens their need to develop aesthetic interests. I need an artistic culture around me. I realize that I feel restricted in Amman. As pastor, I am always defining boundaries. Better boundaries are established in Jerusalem, but as pastor I am always explaining and reinforcing in a language that is not the first language of any but a handful. On these days off in the past few days, I realize I am relaxing.

I have come to realize that people like to dress in strange costumes - mostly black and white. Identity seems key. Many Jews wear traditional clothing; the same for conservative Catholics and Muslims. An ancient dress seems to make people feel comfortable in retaining an outward identity.

Me. I like bright colors.

I like what Jerusalem offers. I realize I need the intangible that it offers whereas in Amman I have to struggle at creating an environment that is satisfying. I realize just how much I do without. I do not take this rest and relaxation time for granted.

After lunch, Jose Maria and I walked to the Israel Museum. We passed Independence park, walked through a forest with a Greek monastery at is southern base, and passed the Knesset. We arrived to attend the exhibition of King Herod's Tomb, but it does not open until February 13th. We had a coffee and made our way back. He had been there a number of times before. I will save it for when I have someone with whom I can tour the city.

At the end of the day, I am physically tired. I feel a little down for a number of reasons. A new day will perk me up, but I have much to bring into prayer this evening. I'm grateful for my day. I'm grateful for the time with Jose Maria and with Tony and Doan. A cup of tea will revive me and all will be well.

To see photos of my day, click on the link below:

1. Pics of A Walk to the Israel Museum
2. Pics of Being At Ben Yahuda

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your insights and feelings. I was especially struck when you wrote: "The concept of freedom doesn't factor into their day." I was led to St. Ignatius' prayer "Take Lord, and receive all my liberty..." and although I pray that often, there are different meanings for each of us. God bless you as you continue your commitment to our Lord in the way in which you serve so unreservedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Lynda. Right. I don't think freedom is a universal value here. It is a different culture with a different set of values.

      Delete
  2. Yes to Lynda....John you are a insightful photographer with a keen eye for the unusual amid the usual..that is a part of the secret, yes?
    As a fellow amateur I do appreciate the time you take in order to share with us i who may have trodden similar paths and somehow forgotten the treasures you rekindle in our lives.
    Graciousness has many forms.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. Yes, calling out the details that most of us walk by adds a distinction to the photos.

      I like the stories that a single photograph can tell. We each hold a mystery to our day. I like to bring it out for others to see.

      Delete