Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Easter Music

I'm having a very pleasant morning doing some basic chores on this Christian Sabbath day. In fact, I'm listening to Easter music as I'm trying to plan our liturgies. Christmas is barely past and I'm immersed in Easter music.

The music is from the Immaculate Conception Basilica in Washington, D.C. It is great to listen to the trumpets, organ, and trained voices. One of my favorites from Messiah is "Thanks be to God." I feel uplifted.

My parish is part of the diocese of Jerusalem and the churches in Jerusalem are celebrating Lent according to the Roman rite because of the extensive travel of pilgrims. However, Amman is celebrating in union with the Orthodox church - the only section of the diocese in the world that is doing this. It is unusual this year because the Western Easter is early - March 31st and the Orthodox Easter is late - May 5th.

We are doing it to show unity between the two churches and so that we don't confuse neighboring Muslims. I'm not sure why presenting one face to the Muslims is a big concern for us here. I just don't think they care and if they do, it is an opportunity to educate them on our similarities and differences. It does create a problem for the transitory Christian community that passes through Amman. Jordan has a great deal of tourism and travelers. We are all confused with this five week separation this year, but alas, next year we will be on the same calendar.

Anyways, it is pleasant to listen to Resurrection music.

Now, I have to return to liturgy planning. A thankless task.

6 comments:

  1. Wow- how interesting. Well, we will be out of sync with Easter, but not out of sync in our prayers and in our friendship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my blog synced to the Western church and I'll have my homilies prepared well in advance for them here. In my heart, I will be following the western calendar. And as you say, we'll be synced by prayers and friendship.

      Delete
    2. Very interesting John......how is/was the decision made to follow the Orthodox calendar?

      Delete
    3. The Latin Patriarch made the decision; the local bishop confirmed it. It is meant to present unity to the larger Muslim community surrounding us. Though the decision was made for the whole diocese, the main section of the diocese follows the western church. It makes it awkward for us and only us.

      Delete
  2. John, you may think that preparing liturgies is a thankless task but, as a grateful person in the pew, I must tell you that everything in the liturgy is meaningful to me and I am grateful when the music and the homily flow from the same theme. It is a work of art and a real blessing. Thank you for looking after your people with such heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda. I do try to create a nice worship and liturgical environment. The challenges here in Amman are many. I try to pair up the music with the words and one of the choirs is catching on. They like the song selections because they are meaningful. As you know, if you move a piece of furniture a fraction of an inch, someone has a fit. I do my best. Even if the people don't like it, it brings me closer to God to have a reverential liturgy. However, I do know that many people are finding that liturgy is now communicating to them on a new level - and they like it.

      Delete