Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jerusalem

I left for Jerusalem this morning. The ride to the King Hussein (Allenby) bridge was very smooth. As we arrived near to the Dead Sea, I was surprise to see how verdant the valley was. I was remarking to myself that we Jesuits have a privilege of life few others have. I was driven the the bridge by our cook, who was more than happy to be of service. When I realize what others have to do to get to the bridge, especially for the first time, it can be daunting. I was pretty much cared for as I made my way through the Jordanian side of the bridge. I was shown the way to customs clearing and mostly all of it went smoothly. We did wait an hour, but I spoke with a Catholic Ammanian who lives with an American woman. They both are searching for a Catholic parish. Voila!

While we were waiting three Jordanian employees were sitting in the room. One was short and rotund and very jolly. Another was attractive and healthy looking and a third was a middle-age woman wrapped from toe to toe.

An elderly Palestinian walked in, asked for the location of the toilets, and went to the men's room. The woman employee burst into in rip-roaring laughter. She thought it was so funny. I gave the Palestinian woman a curious eye glance and the woman employee could not stop laughing.

The jolly Jordanian started singing Bedouin songs and he didn't stop. The woman employee started moving to his music so I got up, took her hand, and spun her around with a few dance steps. She could not contain herself.

The jolly Jordanian starting singing more loudly and when he paused, I interjected by singing, "Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchabunagungamaug." They looked at me so strangely and burst into more laughter. They couldn't believe I could utter something so foreign to them.

After waiting an hour for a 3 kilometer bus trip across the bridge, the Israeli processing went quite smoothly. Everyone seemed happy.

I met a tour group of Catholics from Australia. Most were from Queensland. I could distinguish the accent and I asked them if they thought they could find some Vegemite in Jerusalem. Most said they hoped not to find it and they thought it was curious that an American would enjoy it. I'll search for it here - with faint hopes. I told them that one nice image I had of Australia was an abundance of schnitzel.

The bus ride to Damascus gate was pleasant. The people on it were very friendly and helpful. A Frenchman was only going to spend a few hours in the city before returning to Amman. Another Jordanian had the most pleasant eyes. He really wanted to be kind and helpful to people. He moved with grace. The bus was non-smoking.

Israel is really built up. Settlements are on the edge of the desert and it is markedly different from Jordan. Green is everywhere and the sidewalks are cared for well. I felt like I was in a city like New York City. Jerusalem is a large municipality that has distinct neighborhoods and all the amenities of life. Jordan is more austere. It is normal to see restaurants and pubs. I noticed how much more comfortable I felt being in Jerusalem.

The people were very friendly. I asked for directions to the King David Hotel and people went out of their way to help me. Most had a glint in their eye as it they love life. I like seeing that.

The people are well dressed and well groomed. Jordanians saunters, but Israelis are fast-paced walkers with a place to go. I don't want to compare, but there are striking differences. People are sitting out in cafes, walking dogs, reading in parks, enjoying life. I need to see this often enough because I'm not yet experiencing it in Amman. It is invigorating to be here. There's old and new and I can't wait to start my adventures.

I was warmly welcomed by the Jesuit community. For the luncheon, we had schnitzel. I wonder if the Australians called ahead. The welcome was tremendous. After writing this and taking a little shut eye, I'll open my eyes with the camera.

The cook is best friends with our cook in Amman. The housekeeping staff was asking about certain priests who were once in Amman. They asked about one particular man's health. They said they were worried for him because he was "fat." Then he corrected himself and apologized for using an offensive word. He replaced it with "gross." I laughed.

So far, so good. I am happy. I met some very nice people today. I like to be around happy people.

2 comments:

  1. Jerusalem - my heart is there!

    John, I was curious about your journey. I flew from Amman to Ben Gurion as I was strongly advised by my Jordanian friends not to attempt the land crossing. It seemed foolish to me, but I did it. I did cross by land to enter Jordan, at the border between Eilat and Aqaba.

    How long will you be in Jerusalem? Glad to hear that you will be staying at, as my friend Paul Campbell SJ always says when speaking of his home, the "Jes res!"

    I hope you find some vegemite, somewhere!

    Oh please give Jerusalem all of my love. My heart is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovelier than I imagined it to be. The border crossing at King Hussein/Allenby wasn't bad at all. It is slightly less time at Aqaba. I found the time enjoyable enough.

      I'll be here today (Tuesday) through Sunday. I'll be back quarterly so I can see a spiritual director and get some days off. Yes, I'm at the PBI - the Jes Res. It is very hospitable.

      My trip into the Old City was curious today. I'll write about that. I've had so much tea and coffee because people want me to buy things - expensive things.

      Jerusalem is something else.

      Delete