Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Creighton: Fireflies, statues, and the Kindest People

During the early evening, swarms of fireflies dot the campus of Creighton University. There are so many of them that it is almost a magical light show. It is especially nice to sit in the Jesuit Gardens and watch these fireflies light up the statues, especially the one of St. Clare, who is sprawled out on the ground.

The campus is blessed with many statues, especially religious ones in contemporary forms. I like the elongated ones of Moses and other humans. The Ignatian spirit is captured in this artwork. Omaha seems to be an Ignatian town. Many religious people pass through the campus and encounter some aspect of the Ignatian charism. It gives me great pride to know that a 16th century man is still influencing our world. In the hallways of several buildings, great Jesuit placards tell our story of reaching into each sphere of life and helping others to access Christ. It is very inspiring.

One challenge to me is the heat and humidity of the land. I usually try to get a walk in to get 12,000 steps, but I'm lucky if I get 10,000 because my feet are dragging. The air is just very heavy.

Another consoling aspect of being here is meeting the Jesuit community. Every man is extremely kind, and I like kind people. The hospitality is very warm and people simply have a smile in their eyes and on their face at the same time. It is wonderful. This complements that people who are part of the program who have the same exceeding graciousness. The genuineness is really deeply of God, and I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment