Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Holiday Weekend - Fraser Island

I finished my first week of retreat-giving at Xavier Catholic College at Hervey Bay. It was quite a nice start to the week. I began the retreat with an imaginative journey and the folks liked it very much. Word spread around the school and others wanted to go through the experience. I am also people to consider their theme song – the song they would want playing on the public address system as they walk into an auditorium to announce them. Folks are still pondering which song best represents them and they are giving in some good reflective thought.

The week became very full with various people to see. I even happened upon a young student who created some trouble in the school. Once he was able to tell the story of what he did, all his fears came out and the poor boy broke down in tears. I’m hoping that he is feeling better because of our chat. I’ve enjoyed meeting the students and talking with them. I laugh because they think I have an accent.

The staff and faculty of the school have been very generous in looking after me. I’ve been out with dinner or a beer with a few. They just are so receptive to what the Jesuits can bring them in the spiritual life.

We have another holiday on Monday. This weekend I am taking off for Fraser Island – the largest sand island in the world. It is the whale watching capital of the world. I will be glad to attend the Catholic Church on Sunday and then head to the island. My next week is very full with appointments and then we’ll have a liturgy for the Mother’s Club on Friday. The walking here is great. I generally walk 8 kilometers a day. The Lorikeets are amazing. They are such beautiful birds and the come around in the dawn and dusk – right outside my bedroom. I do not need an alarm clock, but when something scares them at night it is like being in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Hervey Bay is lined with neat restaurants. Most are al fresco and two of the best ones are very near to my house – Hoolihans and Black Dog. I ate a Peppers the first day, but their twin café, Salt, is a cool place to hang out. The Indian and Bri food is awesome around here. Other cafes for seafood, coffee and ice cream are great. Bon appétit.

No comments:

Post a Comment