Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Land of Rainbows

I awoke this morning to see this brilliant arching rainbow that stretched from one end of the beach to the cliffs on the other side. I have seen quite a few rainbows here, which is very nice, but it means that it rains more than I would like. Usually I see the mountain in the morning before the clouds come in, but today there was bright sunshine everywhere but on the mountain. Since it was so sunny I thought I would head to the mountains after Mass with the schoolkids, but sure enough it clouded up, which precluded me from hiking. I was very surprised at the end of Mass when the students presented me with a welcome card that listed each of the students and teachers names with well-wishes. As the daylght comes to a close, I am sitting in my kitchen looking out at the mountain, the right time that I can see the mountain at sunset. It looks bold and refreshing. I want to climb it.

I drove in the direction of Mt. Egmnont just in case it cleared up during the day, but when it looked less promising, I drove onwards to Eltham. I was pleased with that town because it is about 5 times larger than Opunake. It has a vibrant downtown area and there is more commercial activity other ththan farming. I headed down to Hawera and was royally surprised to see the busy commerical area of the town.

I visited a priest who is the administrator of the Catholic Church there during the absence of the pastor who suffers from terminal brain cancer. I ha a nice lunch and visit and I will return to Hawera because I can do some window shopping, visit a bookstore, or take a coffee somewhere. It is only 40 minutes from my house. Not bad. I have an alternative to the silence of the farm area if I ever need a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment