Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, September 5, 2010

First Day in Gloucester

Hurricane Earl has downgraded to a tropical storm and it whizzed through Portland without much fuss. It rained between 11 pm and 2 am and then fizzled out. When I awoke this morning, the skies were bright and the grass was well watered. I packed up my possessions that I brought with me to Australia and I headed to Gloucester.

As I was arriving, I was pinching myself to really ask if I was going to live in such a beautiful place. The Harbor was teeming with many sun-worshippers who are sucking up the last bit of summer sun. The grass is so green and the water is a vivid blue. As I drove into Eastern Point I realized the immense silence of the place. I recall thinking that my life is going to be very happy here.

As I exited from the car, I smelled the seawater and recalled the other scents of the place. I just walked around to breathe in the memories again.

I was welcomed and greeted warmly by John Murray, the superior of the community. After a short conversation, I picked up my temporary room and settled in. A nap was calling me too strongly and I dozed for 40 minutes and then went out for a walk.

The community is very lovely. They prepared a nice meal with stuffed clams, but not with much bread as an ingredient. We ate a moist roast chicken and had a berry pie a la mode. At the end of the meal, I setteld into my room to write about my day. I would do other things, but the soothing ocean is making me sleepy and I will head to bed very soon. I think I'll sleep soundly and well.

1 comment:

  1. John, Welcome to Eastern Point, and to Gloucester, where I have had many a happy, challenging, and consoling moment!

    Hope to see you soon. Am teaching a survey course at the STM. My love to Maddie and "the gang" there. I know they're so pleased to have you on board.

    Peace and a very good ministry back in New England.

    Janice

    ReplyDelete