Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, December 20, 2010

Irish Christmas Music

Tonight I met a friend at Manchester-by-the-Sea to listen to a holiday version of Gaelic Christmas music. I had a terrific time. It was nice to be with my friend and I was very pleased with the atmosphere of the Landing restaurant.

The Session was conducted by eight musicians, mostly with fiddles. My friend played a recorder. All around the room people would get up and begin singing a song - mostly about their native Ireland. The crowd was primarily a middle-age gentle crowd that appreciated the good efforts of everyone who participated - good voice or those needing some help. Each person felt safe enough to sing and mostly they were good - and passionate. The Session leader was egalitarian. He wanted everyone to feel welcome to contribute.

The host could not have been nicer. He led a participatory version of the Twelve Days of Christmas that brought every table into the action.

The crowd reverenced each's effort at playing or singing. They were simply there because they enjoyed the music of their land. The tales were of old; duets were harmonized. I felt like I was in a folk singing cafe of the early 1960's. I can see the attraction of those venues because, even though the room was packed, an intimate setting was established.

Mostly, people came together because they were having fun. It was an non-traditional way for me to enjoy Christmas music and it was certainly moving. I will go back there again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment