Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Motor City on the Move

On my way to Tampa, I stopped in Detroit to visit friends that I met during theology studies. Detroit has been going through very difficult economic times with a great population migration from the city into the suburbs. On this trip, I noticed that Detroit is becoming a very green city. It looks like a city of vibrant parklands as every corner seems to have fairly well-groomed lawns as a result of demolition of abandoned properties. The buildings that were visible eye-sores are gone and the plots of land appear as an emerald necklace. I kep thinking that this is a city on the move. It does not know where it is going, but it is surely taking steps in an unknown, but positive future. It is heartening to know that it is doing something.

My friend showed me the work of a neighborhood artisan who is creating captivating landscape designs in the Woodbridge and Corktown neighborhoods. In two sections, he created a small park to create a flourish on the vacant, adjacent grassy lands. In another section of town, he created a snazzy walkway next to between a new and old building. The pathway links the two structures and it has become a gathering place of pride within the neighborhood. Community gardens are found around the inner city. People are always outside doing some creative, constructive act. Many people are busy about their gardening. I wonder if Detroit can become a farming city. Rebirth seems to an action that is occurring and it seems right. It will take a few years before the form of the rebirth is visible, but I hand it to the neighborhood people who care enough about their town to make a positive difference.

I enjoyed my visit with my friends and catching up with their dreams, hopes, and heartaches. Having friends is what our lives are all about. It is great when we can nourish these times together.

No comments:

Post a Comment