Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, February 23, 2019

My vacation week


Vacation week is coming to an end, and though it did not go the way I envisioned it, I have to say I had a good week. We began vacation with a snowy day on Monday, which probably would have been a snow day if we had work, but that’s fine.

I went out for a walk and I often meet the nicest people. On Monday, I passed through Quincy Market because I hadn’t walked past there in weeks. I saw a young man wearing a Gonzaga High School jacket. I stopped to say that I was praying for the people at the school. He was very animated and appreciative. I spoke with his parents who were visiting with their two sons. They were Palestinian-Americans and spent several years in Swiefieh in Amman. They moved back to the States just as I arrived.

Anyways, the high school senior explained that he and the student body are trying to make amends for a recent incident that occurred at the school. They are not just doing restorative justice, they are going above and beyond expectations so that their penance and metanoia are known to all. “After all,” he said, “our Jesuit education must stand for something.”

Speaking of that, the Jesuits announced their four apostolic priorities this week, which are consoling: care for the outcast, the promotion of the Spiritual Exercises, giving opportunities for hope for the poor, and care for our common home.

At the same time, 190 bishops are meeting in Rome this week to discuss the current crisis in the church. Though many good things are happening, it may not satisfy the U.S. public. Pope Francis’ goals have become clear: Focus on the victims of abuse, hold bishops accountable for protecting children and win back the trust of the Catholic people. He is doing it by emphasizing three themes, one that will be the focus for each day: responsibility, accountability and transparency.

I planned to visit a priest friend on Long Island, but with my two travel days getting a bit of snow, I reconsidered because I needed rest and I did not want to spend the time with extended traveling because of inclement weather.

The clock was a factor for me. I was delighted that we are getting more daylight at the close of the day, but the morning sun is causing me to rise before 6:30 a.m. on my days off. Besides that, noisy birds outside my window chatter before the sun rises. However, the big problem for me this week was answering my phone. I received phone calls after 11:00 p.m. and before 6:30 a.m. So, I did not get to bed early and I did not get to sleep in. Towards the end of the week, I’ve put my phone on silence. One person said, “I’m not sure when you sleep, so I thought I’d call.’

I gave a friend of tour of Worcester because he had not been to Tower Hill Botanical Gardens. I wanted to see the Camellia exhibit because it was consoling to me last year as my mother was dying. My friend was astounded that Tower Hill was such a well developed beautiful place with several indoor wings to the facility. I then gave him a tour of Worcester, where he grew up. Once again, he was astounded with the changes within the city. We saw the place where the Red Sox will land their Triple-A affiliate, and just as we finished my sister texted me to say she was at a nearby restaurant. We visited with her for a short while. She wanted me to know she was using the gift certificate I gave her for Lock50. After that, the tour continued with a couple stops at new coffeehouses.

The Worcester Art Museum has a terrific exhibit featuring Monet’s Waterloo Bridge. Worcester has one of them, but they were able to coordinate an exhibit with other museums so that they show the same bridge painting at different times of the day with distinct effects. It was quite enjoyable.

I also visited Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts because I wanted to see the Anselm Adams photography exhibit. Though it was very nice, too many people were cramming to see it in its final days. I could not really get the whole effect of the display. I spent more time with the other photography exhibit and Frida Kahlo’s work.

I spent some time in the studio and worked on several different paintings. I’m working on two AMDG signs, which will be fun, but setting it up takes a lot of work. I want to do a little bit more abstract work. I at least have a base for my next projects.

My most important accomplishment this week was to clean my shower. I clean the bathroom often, but I took extra care to really scrub the shower. I’m so pleased with the results. One day, I soaked the shower curtains and then thoroughly washed it. It feels brand new. Then for each of the next three days, I scrubbed the shower to make certain that I cleaned it well and thoroughly. I feel accomplished.

I guess my lesson is to find one corner of the room to clean each week. If I break it down, I won’t procrastinate. Instead of tackling a whole bookcase, I’ll take one shelf at a time. Therefore, if I make it manageable, I’ll get it done quicker than I will if I make it into a project.

I was treated to a concert at Symphony Hall, which engaged my emotions more than I thought possible. Sour (Sister) Angelica was a Puccini production that has often been criticized because of its overboard emotional effects, but this performance was incredibly powerful and timely. While the sex abuse meetings were going on in Rome, this opera told of Sister Angelica who entered the convent seven years ago. She lost all contact with her family until her aunt, a princess, arrives and coldly informs her that he son, whose out-of-wedlock conception landed her in the convent, has died. The lead singer’s performance was beyond expectation. I also was reminded of the ways the church has harmed people throughout the centuries.

On the way back home, I met a really neat science professor Emeritus from Tufts University. We talked about climate change and I let him know that ‘care for our common home’ was one of our newly announced Jesuit priorities. He has worked with the Cardinal, has contributed to lectures at BC, and wrote a chapter of the work that helped Al Gore get the Nobel Peace Prize. Anways, we will meet over a cup of coffee soon.

Then on the way back home, I met a South Shore Art critic who used to be a seminarian and knows many Jesuits. It was a fun conversation. He also wants to meet for coffee.

Friday was my mother’s first memorial. I visited her grave last week and I’ll visit again in another two weeks. I received very many kind words from friends, most who know significant loss in their lives. Time passes quickly. Let’s make the most of each moment.

So, today is Saturday, and since the birds made me rise early, I made breakfast for the brethren. I cooked 48 slices of bacon, many pancakes, made a ham and cheese frittata, baked some potatoes, caramelized some onions, and fennel, plus I put out some fresh fruit, some blueberries, pineapple, and apple compote.

Tomorrow will be an easy day. I have two morning masses and then I’ll lead a discussion on the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Maybe I’ll get a little reading done. I have enough to do, and the national news has been full this week.

The one thing I decided I would do this week when I changed my New York plans was to create a website for my paintings and then design some business cards. I am delinquent. Maybe tomorrow will be a day to get the website started.

No comments:

Post a Comment