Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Integrating Well

The past few day have been exceptionally nice. I find it ironic that I am now seeking more alone time and silence because my schedule has filled out. I drove to Hawera, forty minutes from Opunake, to see what this small town was like. I was surprised because it is a fairly large town with a thriving shopping district. I am coming to see that the Taranaki bulge is basically a farming-only community and is a destination. Most people would drive from New Plymouth to Hawera and points south. The population centers are in those areas and few people would travel to the place where I am staying. In Hawera, I had lunch with the parish priest who is from Ireland and is now incardinated from the Auckland diocese into Palmerston North.

I presided at a funeral the other day of a man who was well-regarded in the town. Everyone seemed to be comforted by the service.

On Thursday evening, I went to Hawera again to attend a presentation by the Bishop and his staff. I enjoyed meeting the bishop and the presentation on the Mass in Slow Motion was thought-provoking. I will visit the Bishop and his priests next Monday in Palmerston North.

On Friday night, I went out for my daily walk and since it was evening, I decided I would turn into the local tavern for a quick beer. This place looked like many of the locals frequented it and I thought I would go in to meet them. A member of my finance council was there and bought me a drink. I stayed for over 4.5 hours (not drinking that much), but just interacting with the folks. I had a very enjoyable night.

Since it was the third day of sunshine in a row, I went to the eastern entrance to Mt. Taranaki and I was so glad I did. The sunshine warmed the place so nicely and I had a rather good hike, though not strenuous, along the mountain's base. I walked to the ski lodge as this is winter, but there was no snow around. I just took in all the sensory data that I could. It was a nice few days and I have a busy week approaching.

I can't believe I'll be back in New England next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment