Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Newborns

I visited a farm of friends is Pihama and was able to get an up-close and personal look at dairy farming. I am amazed at the technical sophistication that goes into such a profession. The standards were all at excellent levels and the precision was so exact on so many aspects of farm life. My friends were grateful for the warm sunny days because on days like this you can almost watch the grass grow.

New Zealand farms are industrious and ingenious. The provide the technical know-how for much of the world. (The other night I met a man who is restoring and rebuilding an old car, an Indian motorcycle, and doing some other smaller activities – all by hand. If he needs a stand, he won’t go to the market to buy one; he will make it himself.) I watched cows getting milked on a rotary platform that was very efficient. One cow that was new to the herd was anxious and scared. I had never before witness such power and determination in a cow. Most of them are rather sedentary. I always laugh when I see calves running around. It is hilarious because most images of cows are of slow-moving animals, but in my back yard when the owner’s truck comes around, a whole herd of cows come running for their feed. They are so buoyant, but awkward.

I saw newborn calves – just born today. Their umbilical cord was still attached and hadn’t yet dried up. They were able to hobble around and the hungry ones blurted out noises so loudly. At birth, they are close to 60 pounds. A cow has to be mighty durable to carry one of those to term. Their fur is so soft and they are adorable.

Anyways, I am fascinated by what I have learned. I also had a very nice dinner and friends with my friends.

These are my last few days in Taranki. I head back to Sydney on Sunday. I will miss the rhythm of life and the warm hospitality that I have experienced here.

No comments:

Post a Comment