Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Reunion and Farewell

I first want to acknowledge the beautiful weather we've had in Gloucester this past week. We had a bitterly cold two days last week that produced a marvelous effect on the ocean. I already posted images of the ocean smoke that results from the air temperature being colder than the water. However, during these cold days, the tiny skyline of Boston was magnified three times  because of the reflection. On a clear day, the skyline is noticeable, but too remote to discern any buildings. This week, the buildings rose triumphantly and majestically.

Speaking of tall buildings, I saw the movie "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." I hadn't known if I wanted to view it because of the horrible memories of 9/11/2001. However, the warmth and tenderness of a loving mother predominates. This was the message I took from the film.

The movie was shown through the eyes of a boy who lost his beloved father in the World Trade Center bombings. It was fascinating to see how he put together his world and its meaning in the wake of his father's death. He has to piece the world together in his imagination. The quiet, invisible support of his mother permitted him to go on his mission. The fraternal care of the mute, "Renter" was instructive for him. The power of a listening ear can do great things for a person. This boy was driven. It was much like the book about the Asberger boy in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time."

However, onto my main point, I returned to a reception at the Bank where I used to work before entering the Jesuits. My former boss retired after 25 years. He left to take a position at a small Catholic college as the founding dean of the business school. I am proud of him.

Returning to the Bank filled me with many great memories. I enjoyed my time at the Bank even though I knew I had to move on to find my life's purpose. I thought of my first days at the Bank, the ups and downs of hard work in an exciting time, the friendships I have made and nurtured over the years, the lost opportunities and the ones I seized. We don't live our lives by "what ifs." Thankfully.

The people at the Bank are truly remarkable individuals. I'm glad we are still in each others' lives. We are all on our own individual journeys that are made possible through friendships and the care of others. The journey is more fun and delightful when we share our stories with others. Sometimes our hearts break, but it is only because we care deeply. I'm grateful the Bank has been a great part of my journey. I know they will continue to do well because of the character of the good people who hold onto their dreams.

I'm proud of my friend who has the courage to move on and to return home. He has an exciting journey ahead of him and he will fashion it into something remarkable. He already has. May God be with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment