Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Awake and Still Tired

I awoke this morning early because I wanted to check the results of the 2nd Presidential debate. I came to just as the debate ended - about 5:30 a.m. I knew I would have a difficult time getting another hour's sleep. I got ready to say Mass instead.

The daily Mass is filled with people who speak Italian, French, Spanish and Arabic. I chuckle to myself as I give a homily because there are probably just 2 or 3 people who know what I am saying. I will try to find a way to say something in Italian or French tomorrow so they feel better included. I'll get a brush up on Arabic.

I had a tasty breakfast: humus with a vegetable mixture in the center, lime-ade with spearmint leafs, and spicy falafels.  Mmm. It was a good start.

Last night, Fr. Al and I had dinner with two parishioners. I was a great time. This couple is very committed to their faith. God is very present to them in their ministry and marriage. It was a wonderfully relaxed gathering with a very well prepared meal.

I realized yesterday that my tiredness comes from struggle to understand the English people are speaking to me. I am laboring to understand all that they (1) say and (2) mean. I remember my first few weeks in Australia. I understood all the words but I still felt like I wasn't catching onto the meaning. This is more difficult here.

I have many people who tell me about the problems of others. I ask people to write me a note with the information on it because I won't remember the details otherwise. However, it is not a written culture so it quickly vanishes from my mind. I have a different way of operating, which works for me. I wonder how I am to adapt.

2 comments: