Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, October 21, 2022

I made a contract

As I was driving to an event from Dorchester to South Boston today, a sentence entered my mind. It was "I made a contract." I made a contract with society that I would keep my neighbor safe. This thought affects my driving and other aspects of my life.

I was at a red traffic light, and a woman in a SUV was positioned to my right. As the light turned green, she took off with great speed, and I said to myself, "I made a contract." A traffic stop sign was a short distance ahead. She and I both approached it, but she was far in front of me, and she did not slow down. She passed through the stop sign, perhaps because she was able to do so with getting caught. I stopped at the sign.

The next traffic light approached. It was green, then yellow, then red, for a few seconds, and she ran through it, and so did the car after her. I stopped and waited. 

I often want to say to people, "Wait your turn."

Just because you can disregard traffic signals doesn't mean it is the best thing for society. I made a contract with society. I have to choose what will make society run smoother. 

As I continued onward, another car parked half in a legal space and half in a prohibited space. If I were in that situation, I would find another parking space. I then watched a car zigzag down the side street swerving from left to right before he finally double-parked and walked into a brownstone. I made a contract that I would not block traffic for my own individual purpose. All in all, I traveled 3 miles. 

I would rather that driver slow it down on South Boston streets because you cannot tell when a pedestrian will appear in between cars to cross the road. I admit that many Bostonian pedestrians are brazen and entitled, but I made a contract to keep them safe.

I drive too fast at times on highways, and yet I try not to stay in the left lane except to pass. I do get annoyed when a car drives slowly in the left lane. I also get annoyed when people decide not to communicate with me by using one's directionals. Why would you not want to tell me that you are going to suddenly change lanes by using your signals? Often you put me in harm's way. 

I could take liberties as others do, but I made a contract with society when I got my license. I could disregard rules and get away with it, and I would not feel proud. I want to feel proud of society and each person's commitment to making society protect others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment