Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Lead up to Christmas

I'm working very hard to try to get to a Christmas concert this Advent. My schedule did not allow me to get to the Friends of Jordan concert and I tried to find my way to a more sophisticated one last night. I traveled street after street to locate the Greek Orthodox Cathedral. A friend even arranged to meet me but a U.S. phone call gave me a late start.

I was surprised my GPS had this particular location. As I set off, I discovered I was on Jebel Amman, far away from the district my friend told me the Cathedral was located. I drove down to that area and could not find the place. No websites offer directions. Phone calls are generally not returned and you generally cannot reach the organization by phone at least the first five times you call.

Apparently, Christians are responsible for the configuration of streets in Amman. The city was designed to be confusing as defense against invaders.  Modern Amman is deliberately designed to be difficult to drive in as defense against local uprisings and rebellions, especially after Palestinian rebellion in 70's. Easy access is not a value.

One thing that warmed my heart the other day was that I saw two young woman communicating in sign language. I thought that if they could learn sign language in Arabic, I can do better with my language skills. It is odd my heart drops when I see a person with such a disability. I want them to live a normal life.

One good thing about being in Amman for Advent, we don't get much candy or sweets sitting out in the open for people to enjoy. In the States, every time you go into a store, candy is one of the first things you encounter. I like the absence of it because in the States it kind of feels pushed upon you. If you don't have great resolve, you will taste a chocolately morsel here and there. Then you get fat.

Also, I noticed we don't use much butter here. Everything is olive oil based. The diet certainly is different. This morning I picked up a huge vat of olive oil that comes directly from a parishioner's farm. It is not processed in the commercial way so it looks a little cloudy, but it is very good. It is the best oil I've tasted. Yum.

We also don't get excessive Christmas carols on the radio. I play Advent and pre-Christmas songs often and I'm singing them daily. In a few markets, you'll hear an instrumental secular song or two. It makes me feel good, but it does not go overboard. There's a balance here. I just can't stop singing.



6 comments:

  1. Oh the confusing streets of Amman... I've shared my story with you before. I did not know why until now, however. I'm not sure if I should be fascinated or disturbed.

    Please know that I am praying for you daily John, what a big change this is.

    And please pray for me. I work in a parish. At this time of year, more food comes in that door than you can imagine. Wait - you actually can imagine it. Resolve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember your story well, Fran. It is a great one. I just learned the reason yesterday.

      Thanks for the prayers.

      Life in a parish is topsy-turvy this time of year. You get to see the great generosity of people, but it is always amazing that you have to juggle your schedule to arrange things. I hope you get some advent peace this season.

      Resolve!

      John

      Delete
  2. Another interesting day in the life of Fr. John...Thanks so much for sharing these tidbits as it gives me a glimpse into life elsewhere and a growing appreciation for how other countries embrace Christianity or maybe not.

    I use the opportunity of being on your blog to pray for you daily. That is what the community is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another day just rolls along.... Thanks for the prayers.

      Delete
  3. John, someone from Jerusalem came to my blog this morning via a search for "chapel of st Ignatius seattle temperature." It totally cracked me up and for some reason made me think of your and your Jordanian adventures and the surprising ways in which our stories and longings get connected across the globe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is an unusual search request. You do have to chuckle at times. Somehow it all works out for the good. We have to enjoy the ride.

      Delete