Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Success

I traveled to Russeifeih today to visit an older parishioner. This town is on the outskirts of the city and it was my first rather lengthy trip beyond the city limits. I actually had little idea where I was going. I asked a Jordanian if he knew of this place and he looked puzzled. He mentioned the name of another town and started giving me directions. I lost confidence right away. I figured I would give it a go on my own.

I knew how to take the road to Zarqa and the parishioner's directions had that on the map. I took my chances. To play it safe I entered the address into my GPS, but with no results. So I entered the town's name with no results. I entered the street name and it came up with many entries, but none for the town I wanted. This would be a long day.

This parishioner told me I can take the new road. The Jordanian told me to take the new road as well. I'm clueless. No road here looks new. All the roads look similar. So I set out.

I maneuvered through the traffic and customarily dodged all the big trucks that swerve from side to side at will so they don't interrupt their mobile phone conversations. I was doing fine.

At one point, I was traveling up a hillside and three trucks slowed down as they were losing speed. It was like a fortress and I couldn't see anything in front of me. Once one of them cleared the left lane he was obstructing, I saw a sign to Russeifeih, the city for which I was headed, but it was far too late for me to take that right. I would take the next exit.

The next exit was kilometres up the road. I took the next exit and the road kept going along a desert track of sand. The road stretched on and on. After traveling 8 kilometres, I was itching to turn around, but this is the one road that had a median barrier. I just plainly could not do it. It was deserted, but it looked like a new road, but not the new road I wanted. I saw a building up ahead and I pulled into the lot. The building was vacant, but with a clever maneuver, I was able to find a way to get into the lane going in the other direction. I turned around and headed back.

On the way back I saw a sign that pointed to Russeifeih, but the exit was like an old one-lane road. Surely that wasn't an exit, but I took it. I went through this town that looked bleak. Not a single road sign was in English. I was surely lost. I passed by a carnival and into the town that had markets selling fruits and vegetables out into the streets. I traversed the main roads and side roads and I was certain to be late for my appointment. I kept looking at his well-written directions complete with photographs and nothing looked familiar.

I pulled over and called and my host's daughter was very kind to come and collect me. I had a lovely visit. The man was very nice and his daughter is quite kind and helpful. She gave me some information about King's College, the sister school to Deerfield Academy. King's was set up by King Abdullah to replicate his experience at Deerfield. He is quite committed to education as the path for progress. I agree with him. Education is key to success.

Anyways, Twelve Angry Men is a production to be put on at King's College this weekend. I'd like to attend. I'll also check out their concert schedule because I hear they have a decent enterprise there. It will be good for me to have a little holiday cheer this season.

I made it. My trip was successful. I navigated fine and the road back was easy. It was basically one road that led straight into Amman. I am also meeting the neatest people. Pockets of familiar culture exists here. I'm willing to learn a new culture, but I'd also like to be nourished by familiar enterprises as well.

When I returned home, it began to rain. I was so happy. I like the rain and Amman needs it. The plants need water to generate life.

The staff set up Christmas trees. They were very happy going about their business. I think I'll turn off the lights tonight and gaze upon the lights of the trees and think happy thoughts. What else does one do?

2 comments:

  1. It is lovely to follow you in your adventures... While I have never lived in the Middle East, we did live in Peru and India and the two countries were sufficiently different from anything that I had known, that following you on deserted roads has a way of bringing back memories.

    Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peru and India are quite different from each other. How long were you in each country? Yes, I think any foreigner can relate to the unusual customs countries follow. This is certainly a non-Western country that is inching its way westward. Some parts of it are beginning to become fun.

      One priest who was in the Middle East for years said that the typical U.S. pattern was to find everything exciting for the first three months then the person experiences depression because one knows he or she will never feel at home here. Once the novelty wears off, spirits settle down. I think I'm going in the other direction. I think I was more down the first three months and now I'm finding I'm getting better connected here so things are becoming more engaging and exciting.

      Delete