Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, December 3, 2012

Francis Xavier Day

After a strenuous weekend, I decided to take some time today to get a breather. I got anything but that. Since it was about 75 degrees, I rolled down the window to the car and took off to a art supply shop near City Mall. As soon as I took a deep breath, the van in front of me sped off leaving a trail of black, smelly smoke. No emissions standards here in the Middle East. After a few minutes of hoping I would get a tinge of fresh air, I rolled up the window and put on the air conditioner. The air is heavy here and it must be circulated if you want to feel well.

I also put my arm out the window as I drove along and then I realized I could be like Francis Xavier. His right arm was severed so it could be sent to Rome as a first-class relic. As my arm dangled out the window, a car came it's usual dangerously close proximity to my car. I'll keep my arm in at all times. In fact, I realize that I never see arms outside of windows.

I was very pleased to find the art shop. It is fairly large and well-stocked. I think they are Christians because of the number of Christmas decorations and cards they are selling. The cards are all written in Arabic. I was most impressed with the busyness of the place. Many customers were engaged in conversations and sales. I think I can make a go of some artwork here. He gave me the name of a painting instructor.

I was doubly surprised when I turned the corner and walked up the driveway to Mariam's Art Gallery in the same block, but accessible through a different entrance. She told me that she does painting/drawing classes as well as ceramics. They run a 10-week course that meets twice a week. This is a nice piece of information to have. It made me happy.

We threw a dinner party tonight for 23 people in honor of Francis Xavier. It was a fine affair. I hardly was able to talk with everyone, but at least I greeted them. We had duck, pork, and lamb with a smattering of appetizers. The meal and conversations were great.

I put together a common North American style prayer. No one sang with me as I led them with Ubi Caritas. We then recited a psalm antiphonally, but that was unfamiliar with everyone. It was very insightful for me.

Oh, wow I'd love to give retreats here.

Overall, it was a good day. I'm rather tired so I'll go to bed now.

2 comments:

  1. I led morning prayer this morning at the parish, and we prayed for you and your colleagues in Amman (as one of my older Jesuit friends would say) "firmly and by name" -- and all those working in the missions! Happy feast of Francis Xavier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is great. I'm comforted by that. Thank you. Your Jesuit friend is wise to pray like that. I'm sure your prayer inspired your congregation.

      Delete