Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, December 7, 2012

Pavlova, Tea, and Bush

I wanted to meet a long-time parishioner who was born in New Zealand. He is a lector at Mass and I wanted to find out where he lived in New Zealand because he has such a cool accent. I invited him for coffee; he replied by hosting a dinner for 20. It was fabulous. Both he and his wife had careers as chefs in Amman. The food was great and I had such a good time with his friends and relatives.

One of his guests was the Arabic speaking priests who runs a parish where I say Mass. He lived in Honduras for the greater part of his formative years. He is a very kind man and he is always busy so few people get to know him. I was delighted to get to know some of his life and theology. It gives me great hope that we have similar approaches to the ministry. I met some fascinating people last night and we had some good laughs.

The food was scrumptious. The vegetables were fully cooked, but crisp. Just the way  I like them. The broccoli had some character rather than being the regular mush broccoli we've been served. The stuffings alongside the meat were terrific, but the crowning moment was when the pavlova dessert was brought out. Pavlova was made first in New Zealand (though Australia's dispute this fact) when the Opera singer came to the island. They invented a special dessert to honor her and it was a hit. It has meringue as a topping to give it texture. Earlier this week, I saw Tutti Frutti ice cream, another New Zealand invention.

Another surprise that came my way was when I stood up to look at the photos on the wall. The hostess came over to tell me about her children. I saw one photo of her beautiful daughter with a young man whose face looked familiar. She married the son of Jeb Bush.The family album was brought out and I saw the whole family in the album. What a hoot. Who would have ever known the connections that are made through serendipity.

I learned a lot about local stories. Everything seems to be local or personality-based. It was quite an education. I have to process what I have been told as it is quite fascinating.

It was a terrific night. I kept thinking to myself at the dinner party, I've turned the corner.

I checked out a local chorus as they were rehearsing for a Christmas concert. The conductors flailed his arms and legs wildly while the soloist sang. All the while the chorus members are leaving their places, getting into animated conversations, and appearing very disinterested. My latest chorus director would have a conniption. Anyone would. Fortunately, all the singers have a B.A. in music. They have talent. However, they were using microphones in a space that is acoustically sound. None were needed, but I sense louder is better here. I don't know if I can join them, or if I want to join them, but it is at least an outlet.

I tried to visit a local artist who can do some water color classes for me. I just couldn't find his location. I'll head out tomorrow. I like to at least make the connections.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventures. It's great to hear how things are going. No matter where we live it is all about the people and the relationships that God brings our way. I used to find that when I was a minister's wife and we moved around quite a bit - nowhere exotic though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is all about connections. Last night seemed to be an important time for me.

      Delete