Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Day of Cricket

Today was a blast. I began by saying Mass in a local parish at North Rocks. Three Jesuit priests and I took off for our novel adventure of introducing ourselves to the parish. It was quite funny as we drove to St. Gerard Majella's parish. I introduced myself to the sacristan, told her I had arrived to say Mass and began to look at how everything was set up. The frightened look on her face gave me a clue that we showed up at the wrong place. We had no idea where we were. It turns out that there are three Catholic Churches on North Rocks Road and we were to be at Christ the King parish church.

We frantically drove down the road to find the other church and the road kept twisting and veering off into various directions. When we finally arrive to the church, we took a left to get into the church parking lot, but there was no way in. We pulled into the parish school, but could not get access to the church driveway. We drove down the road that we assumed hugged the parish boundaries, but it travelled further away and ended up as a dead-end. We turned around and had to find another way in. We made it in just in time to begin Mass.

Though I was rushed, Mass went off fine. So many people are so well-trained with their ministries that it was nice just to pray the liturgy with and for the people. I did not have to orchestrate a thing. Anyways, the people were very lovely. We had tea with Sr. Katherine and Fr. Eric afterwards. Folks were very appreciative to have us around to say Mass.

When I returned to Pymble, we met Phil and his family. He collected us and brought us to Willoughby for a barby. It was quite tasty and our hosts were so welcoming. A large group of people showed up and we had a blast. I bowled a few cricket balls and finally was able to bat. I'm still used to American baseball so my batting produced six and out. I earned six point, but I was finished batting. I like the sport, but it can get rather complicated. Phil's son, Tom, taught me how to maneuver an American League Football and then we also learned some rugby passes and kicks. I ate and drank plenty. The dessert was superb. It was a New Zealand meringue bisquit with yogurt and fruit topping. It was light and delicate.

Then I came home and napped, then went to recreation and dinner before going out for a hour's walk. Lovely day, it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment