Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Barcelona

Some of us pilgrims were beginning to lament the short duration of time left to us on this pilgrimage. We rose early and packed the bus before heading down for a hearty breakfast. Breakfast always has lots of meat and cheeses. I will become a short-term vegetarian when I get home just so I can offset all the protein I took in.

The morning was foggy because of last night's rain. We were happy for the rain because all the children were forced to be inside with their parents. Thus, we were able to sleep. The fog against the mountains conjured up mystical times.

The bus ride to Barcelona normally is a short trip, but we were heading into rush hour traffic, which is much later than ours in the States. We also suffered delays because of a traffic accident that slowed movement for at least 8 miles. We were happy though.

Once we arrived in Barcelona, we headed for the Jesuit community residence of the provincial staff. A parish church was getting ready for its daily liturgy. The main church housed the sword that Ignatius lay down at Our Lady's feet at Montserrat. We had Mass in the St. Ignatius chapel and was the celebrant. We shared our major graces during the Mass.

We then drove down La Diagonal, one of the main thoroughfares in the city. Las Ramblas intersects the road as it makes its way to the Meditteranean Sea.

Along the route, we saw houses designed by the famed architect, Antonin Gaudi. We then visited a Gothic church where Ignatius taught school children the catechism of the church. It was a relief to see a Gothic church after seeing so many Baroque churches. It was simple and elegant. It did not show a triumphant, other-worldly Christ, but one who was revered for his fidelity to God. The softness of the lights revealed human emotions of the saints. I took a photograph of Anthony Mary Claret whose feast day it was.

As we made our way to Las Ramblas, several of us stopped into a restaurant called Compostela because we liked the named. When we were ushered into the far back room, we saw all the other pilgrims at other tables. We enjoyed another meal together before setting out into the deluge of rain that washed the city.

We made it back to our hotel to dry off before dinner. I laughed when I saw my room. Each room of the trip for me was very comfortable and spacious, but this one was so small that I could sit back on my bed sideways and touch the opposing wall with my feet. It was a hoot. If I tried to sit in the bathtub, my knees would hit my chin. I have never been so scrunched, but it was the most comfortable mattress of the trip. If only air had circulated so I could breathe.

We met in the hotel's bar for a glass of cava (champagne) and then had tapas at a nearby restaurant. It was terrific because we did not feel like eating much. We all thought we would have a short meal and retire early. We had so much laughter that we stayed an obligatory four hours. Mariana finally found her cell phone. Everyone was celebrating and wishing each other well as we were returning to our separate lives.

Joe and Jeanne and Gene and Mary Ann were the first to part from us. We were sad to leave them behind - but they were spending four additional days in Barcelona.

The flight back to Boston was thankfully uneventful. Others had to catch connecting flights. When I returned to Gloucester, I went to chorus rehearsal. No coherent words could come out of my mouth, but I went. When I returned home, I went to bed - missing my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these wonderful descriptions of the pilgrimage. Reading the commentary and viewing the photos is a prayer in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Donna. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete