Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Inside the Montserrat Basilica

We had an early rise this morning to attend vigils at the Basilica before breakfast. We thought we might as well catch the liturgy before the hoards of visitors took over the basilica.

Breakfast was filled with meats and cheeses and lots of protein. We were stuffed to start the day.

We went through the church through a path that led behind the altar and up a staircase to see the statue of Our Lady of Montserrat. (Montserrat means serrated or sawn mountain.) Ignatius prayed in vigil to Our Lady after he lay down his sword and clothing to take on a pilgrim’s life. He went to the Benedictine monastery to confess his sins. He was beset with scruples and confessed his whole life’s sins – often going back to a confessor when he forgot to mention a particular sin. He stayed in prayer and vigil before Our Lady as he reviewed his history. Eventually, the priests told him he would have to move on.

We had Mass at a chapel behind the main altar. We could see the backside of the Madonna as we sat in the congregation.

Since fog covered the mountains, we all wanted to get outside to see the spectacular site. I wanted some private time so I walked a path that seemingly led to nowhere. After 35 minutes of walking and no sign of a map, I turned around. I went to my room to read, but I fell asleep for 10 minutes. I did not feel refreshed, but it was time for lunch. I only had time to look at the gift shops.

I went back to my room after a very tasty lunch. I was going to read for ½ an hour before I trekked to the top of the mountain, but I fell asleep for two hours. I was annoyed with myself for wasting the day. All my fellow pilgrims journeyed to the top of the mountain and I wanted to be with them.

We then attended vespers again and had a hearty dinner. I went out for an evening walk and came back to update my photos. I only took 208 today – a slow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment