Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, November 29, 2012

A visit to a Neighbor

I went to dinner tonight at the house of two religious sisters who live nearby. I received directions from one of the priests in the house. He told me to cross the road as if I were going to the apartment, take the first left and 3/4 of the way up the road I would come to a house that has a large awning. The house number was 22. There would be little space for a garden, but there would be a grape trellis with no real yard or grass. Everything was exactly as the priest said it would be.

I knocked on the door and it popped open. I saw the lighted Christmas tree and realized I had indeed found the place. It was so easy. I said hello, stepped inside, and a man came out to greet me. We said hello and he invited me in for coffee. He was a Christian. He said it was almost time for wine. He showed me the Christmas tree up close and talked about his family. When I started to ask if he was there for the dinner with the two sisters, he had a blank look on his face. I told him who I was and he was so pleased to meet me. It was obvious to me that I was in the wrong house, but he wanted me to have another cup of coffee.

It turns out that his uncle sold his house to the Jesuits to become the Jesuit Center. He was pleased with how we have developed the property and expanded it. He asked me to come back some time for a glass of wine. I will. He is such a very pleasant and welcoming man, but I told him I had to go because I had no idea how to get to the house where I was expected for dinner fifteen minutes ago. We laughed and I went on my way. What a nice guy!

8 comments:

  1. A lovely story! I hope you made it to your dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make it to dinner. Dinner was quite good. I was 15 minutes late.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this lovely story with us. I'm with Claire in that I hope you made it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I made it to dinner and my hosts were very understanding.

      Delete
  3. The grace of encounter - that is lovely. And I'm glad that you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so enjoying your adventures in your new world! I imagine that they can be quite anxiety-producing, but you are meeting such lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day the network seems to extend. It is nice to meet neighbors.

      Delete