Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, August 22, 2011

Surprises and Dragonflies

Yesterday I was working in the gardens planting donated perennials from a friend from Maine. I had to make fast work of the planting because of the retreat schedule. The temperatures were hot and the air was humid. I worked for a couple of hours and I realized I was exhausted. I began to think about going inside to get a fresh drink of water to replenish my liquids. As I looked up, I saw a colleague, a guest director, standing in front of me with an orange-pineapple cup of ice cream. I was floored. I looked again to make sure it was not a mirage or an over-active imagination. I was literally stunned because of her goodness to me. The flavor is a favorite of mine and I was overflowing with gratitude because of her kindness. I relished that cup of ice cream, not only because of it's taste, but because of her surprising care for me.

****

Today as I walked out into the gardens, I noticed the sky moving. We had a heavy bout of rain throughout the night that generously watered the lawn and flowers. The air was finally free of humidity and the sky was a brilliant blue. Because of the wetness, hundreds upon hundreds of dragonflies leaped through the air and played around. I was immediately reminded of Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem, "As dragonflies draw flame...." Oh, it was brilliant to watch them dart about the property.

My spirits keep getting lifted... Thank you, God. I need that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment