Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Easter Day

 Happy Easter, friends. He is Risen, Indeed. I feel hopeful, joyful as Easter Day unfolds. It is quite within the Jesuit Residence. No movements. No sounds. A cup of decaffeinated coffee to wake me up. Lots of fluid intake as I rise to start the day. 

Yesterday was still, and the early part of today has that same stillness, but there is a different quality to it today. Yesterday I was a bit anxious to make sure I had all my preparations in place; today is a rest knowing that all that I have done has been the hard part. Today's stillness is one of contentment and comfort. 

It is eery how the days mirror the Triduum (Three days of Holy Week.) Yesterday was a day of impatience and restlessness; today is one of surrender. The day of anticipation is here and this is the time of Christ's consoling ministry to take place. 

Ignatius said that in the wee hours of the morning when Jesus's mom could not get any sleep, Jesus visited her first before any of the disciples to reassure her that he was okay and he wanted to wipe away her tears and replace them with joy. It is one of the most tender moments in human history.

I expect Jesus will do the same for me. Yesterday, I was fretting that I did not have the training or stamina to do this great feat on Patriots Day - Marathon Monday. Today, I simply want to enjoy what I can of the day. As a realist, I understand I will continue to have pain in my knees as I traverse the 26.2 miles. As a person of faith, I can't wait to see the faces of all the people who stand on the sides of the route to urge on each runner-participant.

I want not to focus upon the pain and hardships I may face, but the encouragement from the crowds - lots of people of goodwill - who are there to urge us forward. They will carry us when we don't think we can put one foot in front of the other.

I want to focus on the scores of people who donated to the homeless and on my behalf in a gesture of affection and care that their priest and friend is taking on a Herculean task for the greater good. As a society, it is time to move past our individual concerns to focus upon the greater good, the common good, as a way to find meaning and fulfillment in life. When we live for others, lives takes on greater meaning. 

I am astounded by the goodness I have been experiencing. I recall being worried I could not raise funds to cover the initial $10,000 and here we are on the cusp of raising $30,000 all for our concern that the homeless need the dignity of professional healthcare. I am grateful.

Easter Day is real. Marathon Monday is tomorrow. I'm glad I get to celebrate each day in its fullness. Please know of my prayers for you tomorrow. As I take my first step or my 50,000th step, I know that I am not alone for you are there in my prayers and the Risen Lord will be there. This will be like the Emmaus journey when companions are traveling the road together in their despair and they will unexpectedly encounter Jesus in their midst. At the end of the day, we will praise God's fidelity to us, and we will share Christ's joy.

Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment