Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, July 29, 2013

Mid-Ramadan

My return from the States has been a bit unsettling the first few days because of jet lag and because the residence where I lived has been demolished for renovations. I'm staying in the nearby Jesuit apartment, which is O.K., but it is foreign to me. Most of the day, I cram into my small office and try to resume a normal schedule. It will come along.

I'm also trying to understand Ramadan. I know the call that signals that the daily fast is over. I understand the call to prayers and I enjoy seeing everyone heading to the mosques for their prayers. I'm not quite sure what is happening at 2:30 a.m. when the drumming and chanting begins. At 4:30 a.m., there is the call to prayer and I assume everyone has breakfast after that to bulk up for the day's fast. Sunrise is about 6:30 a.m. It seems to be a night culture these days and I like driving the streets during the daytime because the traffic volume is much lower.

Ramadan ends August 10th.

Other than that, I like the read the spin on the Bishop of Rome's Brazil visit and his press conferences. I also like reading about the NFL training camps. I know it is a slow news season and that is quite O.K. with me because everyone needs a break from a frenetic year's pace.

Liturgically, I've always enjoyed this week of the year with the Feast of Ignatius of Loyola and the Memorial of Peter Faber, but it also seems to signal the finality of summer's holiday as preparation work for the new academic year begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment