Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The teacher says...

I was pleased with the comments from my art instructor when I attended class yesterday. He looked at my work, made a sound of surprise (maybe admiration), and said "very good." It was more than polite feedback and that made me feel good. We progressed by boxes and simple shapes to still life objects. They said I did a good job with shapes and shadows. I feel encouraged.

Since the nice weather is here, more people are on the streets. I have a whole range of emotions as I see the disabled and young children on the street corners peddling wares that no one wants to buy. I'm torn by being generous to them, while angry that they are out there. I don't want to ignore them, which is the quickest way to send them off. If you but glance at an item, the people will keep asking you to buy what they are selling - pinwheels, toys that light up, posters.

What makes me angry is that the best with the worst disabilities are sent to the more prosperous sections. It is not that they are out there trying to sell, but it seems orchestrated to me by someone else who is taking advantage of them. Some of these men can barely stand up because their legs are too distorted. It is as if bones were once broken and healed improperly. I would rather see these men taken to hospitals to get their malformed bones reset.

I get angry to see children around seven years old begging at intersections during the daytime when they can be in school. Their faces look so sad at too young of an age. Fortunately, their mothers are nearby. I know the system and the government would rather see the children attend schools.

Syrian refugees continue to cross into the Jordanian border daily. The swell is becoming great and if this situation persists, negative consequences will follow. If there is any time for peace to be brokered between the two major factions it is now. The time is ripe for peace in the region. I hope the world powers and the regional nations can get together and fashion something tenable soon. This is an opportune time for peace.




4 comments:

  1. I read this and I want to cry. I think of how Jordan has long been the place where refugees are drawn. In 1947-48, during al naqba, during the Iraq conflict which began 10 long years ago, and now the Syrians. God have mercy. Make us people who live peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The government does its best to welcome refugees. They care for them well and the camps are well-run. We need peace so there are no refugees.

      Delete
  2. How it must weigh heavily on your heart to see the beggars and the refugees but the solutions are complex. Much prayer and wisdom and the deep desire to make things better are needed by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do little for them. I see my powerlessness all the time.

      Delete