Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Training with a Maturing Body

It is the first part of March, a time in which I need to be training my body for long-distance running. Oh! I am trying, and I am learning about my body.

I always tell people in prayer that they have to breathe deliberately and when they do so, their bodies will tell them something that needs to be considered. Well, I'm listening, and I know I need to listen to my body.

I have put pressure on myself because I have not been able to run as I would have liked, but I have supplemented it with walking and leg and knee strengthening. I have felt like I am falling behind because of the pain in my knee. However, I have to work on leg strengthening.

Many people will recommend the RICE method of dealing with a sore knee: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. I spoke with a trainer today who then said that the prevailing wisdom has changed on this method because heat will help the blood circulate better, while cold stops the blood and should be used when there is immediate injury. 

There are often many contradictory opinions.

I did find a method today that seems to fit well. A trainer at the school recommended it. One has to strengthen the muscles around the knee so that the pain subsides once and for all. This method is to drag weights on a particular machine backwards. I can feel that it addresses my weak spot immediately and I feel the needed muscles being worked upon. I'm going to try this for a week to see if it helps.

The other thing that is necessary is to do all the exercises we learned in high school. Daily, I bless Mr. Mahoney, Ms. Collins, Mr. Austin, and Mr. Byers as I do leg lifts and all the other boring stuff we learned in high school. The fact is those exercises are essential.

I had been able to doing some jogging today, much long-distance walking, and leg strengthening exercises and I feel rather good about it. I have to let the expectations of others for my training be just that - their expectations. I'm in this for the long-haul and the leg strengthening will protect me and give me the best shot. I have to learn what and who to trust with this, and my body is a good indicator.

I had a physical examination with my primary care physician and my lab results showed good numbers. I have a stress test planned for next week to make certain that I have no coronary artery disease that would affect my long-term running, but he is rather confident that I am in good shape.

So, it is onward and upward. I will strengthen away and hope that the weather gets better so I can get outside to run and train. 

The marathon is only six weeks away. Pray for me.

A number of people asked me the best way to donate, and I give them these options in rank from best to least desirable.

1.  The Best Way to Donate.

Click on this link to the online donation form. You will see two big red buttons with the word "Donate" on them. Click on the link and follow the easy instructions. This will add your total to my fundraising page and it will generate a tax donation form for you.

https://www.givengain.com/ap/john-predmore-raising-funds-for-boston-health-care-for-the-homeless-program/      

2. The next best way to donate.

Send a check made out to: Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program

to this address: 

Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program
780 Albany Street, 
Boston, MA 02118

In the memo field, write "for John Predmore"


No comments:

Post a Comment