Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Ups and Downs

 For training, this was a challenging week, and the week has come to an end. It is 64 degrees in Boston and the sun is shining with its setting at 5:40 p.m. It feels like the bulk on winter weather is behind us and that spring is nearing.

I have to say that I am proud of the work that I did this week. I brought my car in for service on Monday and collected it on Friday. Ace Auto in Dorchester does a great job and they are a BC High family. If there was a week to be without a car, it was this week.

An aunt of friends had her funeral on Monday, the day of her birthday, and the family was extremely kind to pick me up and return me to the Jesuit Residence. I was ready to take the train so I did not make it difficult for them. Their aunt was the last of their parents' generation to pass and this was a significant moment. I was able to spend a lovely time with family for a luncheon afterwards. Since it was so late when I was able to get around to training, I just walked for an hour between 8:30 and 9:30 and since it was cold outside, I stayed indoors.

On Tuesday, I had a funeral in Melrose and I was able to beg a ride there and back. Before I went there, I had to prepare for my Vatican II class, which always goes so well. I enjoy being with these great students of theology. When I returned, I had to write Sunday's homily, which I post on Tuesday night for the blog, and for some reason, this was an easy homily to write because it was about the start of Lent and aligning our prayers with the people of Ukraine by going back into the memories of our ancestors and remembering the suffering they faced. That meant I was able to do my laps between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. so I stayed indoors because of darkness and coldness. 

After dinner, I had to prepare for the start of a new class on Wednesdays during Lent about Ignatian Spirituality for the contemporary world. I wanted to make sure I had enough materials prepared for the session, and it went very well.  

I also had the Compassionate Communications class on Wednesday night in which we spoke about mutuality in relationships and how to restore the balance if it has gone too far to one direction. Also, it was Ash Wednesday and we celebrated the Liturgy with the school. So, I ran directly after the session, around 7:45 so I could wind down before I went to bed.

I was able to run on Thursday after dinner, and my day was filled with coming up with a presentation and prayer for Ignatian Volunteer Corps in Providence, Rhode Island. Because gas prices were so high, we made sure to carpool to save on expenses.

On Friday, when I returned from Providence, I made sure to put finishing touches on an online retreat I was giving to a Worcester parish on (1.) looking at the ways we must mourn because of the stoppage that COVID caused, and (2.) to examine the blessings that came our way during these past two years. In April, we will look to the future to see what possibilities we can dream of for the way we do church. By this time, my knee was acting up, so I decided just to walk for an hour with an occasional lap of running. 

After the Saturday retreat, I took a two hour nap, then did an hour and a half of walking because my knee was in such pain. It gets that way when I do not rest enough. I also need to ice after each run. I expect that when I begin to lose weight, the knee won't hurt that much. Then I went to say Mass in Cohasset, which is always a meaningful experience. People seemed moved by the homily, especially the part about remembering the suffering of our ancestors.

Last night, I slept well and rose early enough, feeling well rested. My knee hurt less, and I went to the studio to paint. It was a good day of painting. Since it was 64 degrees, I left early and came home to run, so I mostly ran today with some walking and I finished about 5.5 miles. Tomorrow, I should be back to 6 to 7 miles. 

The marathon is only six weeks away. Pray for me.

A number of people asked me the best way to donate, and I give them these options in rank from best to least desirable.

1.  The Best Way to Donate.

Click on this link to the online donation form. You will see two big red buttons with the word "Donate" on them. Click on the link and follow the easy instructions. This will add your total to my fundraising page and it will generate a tax donation form for you.

https://www.givengain.com/ap/john-predmore-raising-funds-for-boston-health-care-for-the-homeless-program/      

2. The next best way to donate.

Send a check made out to: Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program

to this address: 

Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program
780 Albany Street, 
Boston, MA 02118

In the memo field, write "for John Predmore"


No comments:

Post a Comment