Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Fruit of the Vine

I have begun my packing process as I prepare for my home trip. My next door neighbor in the Jesuit Community left for Lebanon and then Egypt. He is an Egyptian who will be ordained a deacon in the Latin Church within the year and mostly likely to the priesthood next summer. We have had a good time together as we learned about each other's families and cultures. He liked the baked goods that I so often made. The Society of Jesus is in good hands with men like him coming up through the system.

Yesterday, I was trying to visit an American student who was hospitalized for a minor health situation, but I was unable to get there because this student was to be released an hour after my anticipated arrival to the hospital. We have kept in touch, and this student will have an earlier than planned back to Boston College.

Last night, I met friends in the Abdoun section of town for a wine and cheese reception. This friend sold her house and will vacate it by the end of August, so this was her last chance of having an event at the house she really loved. Her husband died around 7 years ago and now the house is a little to large for her. She and her son will live in a nearby section of town in a downsized two story apartment, and it will be quite lovely for them. I will do the apartment blessing on Friday. 

We had all sorts of bread, and my favorite was the Chia square. As a Lebanese woman with Francophone tendencies, the cheese were top of the line French delicacies. We had Brie, Goat cheese, truffles, port wine, and a few others to match the tasty meats and charcuterie plate and fresh fruit. Life is good when there is cheese and wine. Since the temperature was hot during the day, we imbibed white wines, and it was just lovely to sit on the veranda and engage in wide-ranging conversations. 

The family had two dogs, which is a rarity because many people are afraid of dogs. The golden retriever is on his last legs with hip problems and arthritis, but with an affectionate, youthful spirit. Another dog is a rescue dog with the most attractive dog eyes. It naturally is skittish, and I was told that the dog would not come to me because it fears people because of its past mistreatment. Mostly, the dog stayed nearby but far enough away from us for safety, but the family was amazed because twice the dog came to me to be petted. 

It was a lovely evening with a touch of sadness as I begin to bid adieu to this fascinating kingdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment