Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, July 31, 2022

St. Ignatius Day

So, here it is, my last few hours in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and it is the Solemnity of Ignatius of Loyola. I know that Ignatius, (a name that means 'fire') had his heart set of living in the Holy Lands as his heart was set on fire for the Lord. I find it delightful that I get to be in the Holy Lands as Ignatius desired on his memorial day. 

He desired to "save souls" and to let people know of God's hope for each person. He saw the dignity in the Royalty as well as the destitute and the outcast. He saw a vision of the world as the God of mercy. The time of Ignatius was during the initial years of the Protestant Reformation and the discovery of the lands in the Americas, Africa, and Asia. He provided the world with "The Spiritual Exercises," a course of prayer that have healed souls over the centuries. By right, he ought to be a Doctor of the Church because of the wholeness and holiness he brought others.

So, I sit here with a few hours left in the Hashemite Kingdom and I'm soaking in the many graces I received during my time here. Ignatius asks us to let the graces sensibly wash over us as if they were physical, so that we deeply get the sense that God is showering us with blessings. The midday sun is strong and it is cool in the residence's garden level. The Jesuit Superior and I shared a celebratory lunch together, as lunch is the major meal of the day.

At this point, I have mass to say at 6:00 p.m. and we will have homemade brownies, donuts, and other pastries following the meal. I'm packed and ready to go to the airport, which will happen hours from now. I marvel at modern transportation. I'll head to the airport at 10:30 p.m. for a 2:30 a.m. flight to Doha, Qatar, with a 2.5 hour connection, which is just the right amount of time. The plane leaves Doha at 8:00 a.m. and I am back in Boston at 2:30 pm. All in all, a 19 hour flight complete in 12 hours. Jet lag is worse traveling from West to East, so I've done the worst part of the time adjustment.

So, here I wait and pray. I remember all who have entrusted prayers to me and many people who did not ask, but I still included them. All is good. All is calm. I'll spend the time breathing in the air of this land and breathing out deeply so that I appreciate all the goodness I have received.

Happy Ignatius of Loyola Day, my friends. I hope you enjoy this summer feast. 



No comments:

Post a Comment