Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, July 11, 2022

Monday, the Second Day of the Week

I am getting over jet lag and I'm very happy about that. Last night I said Mass in the Jesuit Centre for a small but varied congregation. We had people from India, Jordan, the US, France, the Czech Republic, the Philippines, some religious, and a few travelers. It was all quite pleasant. It was the end of a four day holiday period so this was the last gasp of peacefulness.

Afterwards, I went for a walk to the Abdali mall and Boulevard and it was overflowing with people, and they all seemed happy. Business was brisk and restaurants had waiting lines. People were completing their family time during the Eid. The most striking observation I had was that so many people were smiling and feeling good about their time together. 

It reminds me of a baptism I did years ago. A Jordanian family brought their son for baptism and I held the infant and did everything I could to make the baby smile. The father said to me, "Abouna, we are Jordanians. We don't smile."

Well, people in Jordan are now smiling as they have a place to go for entertainment. I remember the first Christmas that the Boulevard opened. A Jordanian was so excited and he ran up to me and said, "I'm so happy. I no longer have to go to London for a good meal or for shopping. I can do it here in Amman."

As I walked to and back from the Boulevard, many people looked at me because I'm obviously different. I said "Hello" and "Eid Mubarak" and they smiled and opened up always asking, "Where are you from?" And I say USA. Then I say Boston, Massachusetts. Have you been to Massachusetts? They try to pronounce it and they stumble and we laugh. People just want to be recognized and known. We talk for a bit. I seem to meet the nicest people wherever I go. Even the people with the most serene faces brighten up when I say hello. Where are you from? USA.

When I came back, Fr. Bikram was watering the plants as we will get water delivered on Wednesday.

Just a reminder that there is a customary practice of doing number 2 here that is different from the West. It seems civilized.

I was tired by 10:30, which I saw as a victory of jet lag. I went to bed about 11 p.m.

I have a Jordanian friend from the Washington, D.C., who just arrived in Amman. I'll see his family tomorrow. I have an Iraqi friend who arrives from Chicago tomorrow too. An artist friends from NYC arrived a few nights ago and is battling jet lag. I'm likely to see her at mass tomorrow. I'm getting reacquainted with many Jordanians, Palestinians, and old friends in Amman. 

I'm preparing texts for tomorrow's Zoom class on Faith and Evolution. This is a fascinating subject. I'm finishing a book called The Social Conquest of the Earth by Edward O. Wilson. Reading the two together is quite an experience of pondering the presence and reality of God.

My brother-in-law's mother died yesterday after a lengthy illness. It is quite sad but the family was able to see her a month ago and make her transition to eternal life more pleasant. 

Don't worry. I'm praying for you all back in the States.

When I awoke this morning, our cook prepared an nice mild green onion omelette and pita bread for me with a tasty coffee. This afternoon we had rice and meat stuffed cusa (zucchini) and betanjan (eggplant) and some al dente pasta with light olive oil sauce and a fresh salad. We had a digestive tea to follow. Our cook comes in on Mondays and Wednesdays, which is more than sufficient. 

It strikes me that Creativity is the way forward here in Jordan. More on this later. 

I painted this yesterday as the Eid was ending. A sufi dancer.




No comments:

Post a Comment