Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 5, 2013

An uneventful day

It rained today. Everyone stayed off the roads. Back home, we would call it a shower, but few here like to drive in the rain. That's good for me.

When I left church today, a car was parked in the driveway of the parking lot. Right in the center of the lane. No one could come in or leave. The image that I conjure up is that he meant to park the car, but another thought popped into his mind and he stopped and got out. This other woman was befuddled by his behavior, but after she talked with me she settled down. Sometimes people just have to express their anger. This guy's parking job seemed selfish to her and perplexing. This is Jordan. Lots of things don't make sense here.

I stopped by the women's clothing store that we visited the other day. I simply intended to say hello to the man who offered me coffee and a woman's dress. He wasn't in and his associate spoke as little English as I speak Arabic.

Time for a change with the choirs. One is really struggling with the fundamentals. The other group is open. They have talent and a great attitude. I'll give more to the group that says "yes" and that will free up some time. We'll come back to the other group later.

I seem to find myself dancing at Arabic parties. I don't understand a single word they are singing, but I find myself just grooving with the rhythm. The beats, sounds, and everything are so foreign to me. It is far different from Western music. There are so many parties around and I just can't eat all that is offered. I nibbled today and I stopped eating sweets today. I think I am dancing because everyone else seems so motionless. Just like tonight, I sit at parties where I can't communicate with anyone but somehow we laugh and make gestures to show acceptance and appreciate for one another.

I stopped by the music store today and was able to price a few items. I now have a working keyboard and I have two students for lessons. I better start learning it myself first. I feel like a first year teacher because I am staying one step ahead of them. Just one step. I am honest with them that I don't play, but they are excited to have the chance to learn something so fun.

We have so much activity around the Center - guests, dinners, visitors, construction, celebrations. Most of it is done in Arabic. When it gets too loud, an introvert likes me retreats to his room. I've watched a couple of movies, "The Nightmare before Christmas" and "The Odd Life of Timothy Green." I also watched an old "Inspector Morse" show. I have always liked John Thaw's acting. He is curious as a mellow, melancholy detective. Quite the opposite from "Midsomer Murders."

Otherwise, I am allowing my heart to be touched each day by the people around me. One pedestrian gave me a very warm hand to heart signal when I was pulling out of the driveway. His smile was deeply sincere. Then, as I was traveling down the narrow two-way road, I slowed down and moved over and proceeded gingerly. The man in the other car was very caring that we each had enough room to safely pass. He gave me a warm Jordanian sign too. It changes my whole day around. I remember such goodness even as I fall asleep. Funny, even though they drive horribly, I am no longer seeing them as aggressive drivers. Something else is going on, but it is calling me to be a more compassionate driver (if that makes sense.) These are good people behind the wheel of their car and they have rich stories of goodness and suffering carried with them. I want to let all that stuff emerge.


9 comments:

  1. I enjoy your daily postings and look forward to reading them.
    They seem to be cathartic exercise and satisfying all around.
    You are making great progress with small steps.
    Many thanks for your sharing with the world about a little known country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Mark. I want to linger on the good that is happening here because it is also a place where there's much that is harsh. However, I seem to just remember the good.

      Delete
    2. Fr. John, remembering the good is a gift from God as you don't get bogged down by the harshness and your attitude will illustrate the way that Christ lived as well. Blessings.

      Delete
    3. It feel great! We keep our eyes focused upon the important things - like the sanctity of life in the person right in front of us - instead of the tiny infractions upon our boundaries.

      Delete
  2. "I am allowing my heart to be touched each day by the people around me." For me that is the message of Christ - to love one another.

    I am like Mark and thoroughly enjoy your posts. They bring real contentment when I read how you are living your life and bringing the love of Christ to the people whom you meet. It is beautiful and I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda. You are Mark are very kind to respond in a thoughtful way. I think they are bringing me Christ too.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I meant to write "You and Mark."

      Delete
  3. "A compassionate driver"... What a beautiful expression. Beautiful people and beautiful you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire. What a nice thought from you. Beautiful you!

      Delete