Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Rain, Rain

I stand alone. I love the rain we are getting.

We have another day of steady rain. I'm told by many that this type of rain is unheard of in these parts. Fr. Al, who has been here for 10 years, says that he has never seen rain like this before. I'm thrilled. This place needs rain like this each month. It is very dry here and the land would look vastly different with even five more inches of rain throughout the year.

The infrastructure does not support rain like this. Since it rains infrequently, the architects decided not to build any run-off drains. Therefore, roads are flooded. The lack of drainage means that valuable water is not collected in cisterns as it was in the old days. Water seepage does not occur because there are not roots or soil to hold the moisture. With a concerted effort, the scarce resources could be saved much more efficiently. It is too bad the costs are cut for the sake of winning a contract. Standards and policies would help the country develop better economically.

Flooding occurred in many tunnels and people fear driving in this weather. Snow is forecast for tonight as the temperatures will drop. I had no place to go today so it felt like a snow-day in New England. The winds remained fierce, but the honking of horns on the roadways ceased. Yeah! It was a quiet day.

Fr. Al left for the United States today. The airplane took off before the high winds came. I like the return trip to the U.S. because you can arrive on the same day you depart.

I've had a productive two days. I completed the Holy Week Schedule and the Winter Bulletin. Masses through early June are arranged.

Can't wait for tomorrow. I'll take photos of Amman with snow on the ground. I don't have my cross-country skis with me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment