Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Commenting

I have developed a practice over the years to comment on every posting or to reply to every email. I developed this practice in Theology Studies as I imitated my Rector (superior.) I noticed he would reply to every email, even if just to say "thank you." It acknowledged they he saw and read the email and he validated me with his response. I found it very thoughtful because it always closed the loop. It assured me that the sentence was complete. Period. I liked that closure.

I really liked my Rector's style. Above all, we theology students knew he cared for us.

I do the same with my emails and blog postings. It acknowledges to the person that I saw their reply. If a person is thoughtful enough to post, I want to be considerate enough to validate their good efforts. It seems to work for me. It furthers the conversation and keeps dialogue going.

Even on Facebook, if someone comments on something, I'll acknowledge it with a "Like," especially if I am not able to reply with a fuller comment. It is just a practice I've continued.

4 comments:

  1. You are so good with this; I wish I could say the same about myself. No need to reply, dear John, unless you wish to do so.

    It is such a gift to walk with you out here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tribute to my former rector. When I worked in a bank I learned to handle mail and paperwork once. It made it easier and was time efficient. People do appreciate timeliness. I learned a great lesson and I'm happy to pass it on.

      Delete
  2. It is incredibly thoughtful of you to respond to our comments and I must say that it is very heartwarming to read your kind responses. It is relationship-building and, to be honest, that is really the bottom line for me - relationship with God and with other people. God bless you for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Lynda. You are very kind to say so. I've always believed we are called to connect to one another and build the kingdom with kindness.

      Delete