Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Days following the Long Retreat

The Thirty-Day retreat ended on Tuesday and by noon every retreatant had departed Gloucester for their homes. The place quieted down to a hush. As afternoon crept forward, I felt a sleep rush come upon me so I settled down for a half-hour nap. I gave much of myself to the retreat, I now had to give some replenishment time back to me. We do miss the retreatants as they leave, but we are happy that they go and bring forth the message of salvation they heard from Christ.

On Wednesday, as I needed a change of scenery, I visited Maine. I stopped by Cheverus High School where I was sent on mission for 6.5 years. I saw some teachers and friends and visited the Jesuit community. Every visit was pleasant and increased in me a desire to spend more time with them.

On Thursday, I visited my former boss at Eastern Bank. After 25 years and a day, he retired to become the founding dean of the new Business School. I am proud of him. His daughters are in college and are successfully launched into their own lives. He now wants to give back to first generation college students who are like he and I were. It is a nice tribute of service to the students.

After visiting my friend, I toured my own alma mater, and then went to see my original mater, my mother and my siblings. It was a pleasant visit.

On Friday, since the temperatures were so warm, I spent the day doing some gardening. Well, it is more like cutting down broken branches into kindling. I enjoyed the day and I felt productive even though the lawn looks no different than before.

That night, I had dinner with two friends who are Jewish so they could introduce me to their two friends who are Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. We had a lovely cheese pie and grand conversations. The evening just seemed sacred to me.

Yesterday, I had lunch in Gloucester with two Boston friends. One of them had a birthday on Thursday. We were also gathering because her brother, an ex-priest, very recently died and was buried. She was consoled by the 14 con-celebrating priests and the many friends who came to share their stories. I enjoyed the easiness of the lunch and the good spirit of these two women.

No comments:

Post a Comment