Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A visit to my Alma Mater


I took a self-guided tour of the Worcester State University (WSU) campus on Thursday. I am impressed with what I saw. I had just come from visiting a friend who is the new dean of the Business School at Anna Maria College. He talked about his dreams for his alma mater. It propelled me to make a visit to my alma mater too. While Anna Maria is, to their standards bustling with 1200 students, WSU seems to be thriving with energy.

I walked the Administration Building's floors and I was impressed with the freshness of the place. One can tell the school cares for its buildings. When I was a student under Presidents Orze and Vairo, the buildings were cared for well, but there is a vigor to the place now that is inspiring. Though it is functional, it had the feel of a first-class museum. The beautiful auditorium was in use by students who were putting up a stage set for a play. The old art room on the Fourth Floor has been nicely renovation into Continuing Education offices. Every space has been spruced up with dignity.

The Sullivan Building is quite attractive as well. Even though it was 4:00 p.m., probably a low-part of activity for the day, student activities were bustling. Some students were sitting inside classroom doing their assignments, others were in academic counseling centers, a jazz ensemble was practicing in the adjacent auditorium. It had a good feel to it. I could tell that students are dedicated to their education. The school environment seems conducive to promoting the whole development of the person.

As a student, I worked full-time to pay for my apartment and transportation. I was not able to enjoy the school as a place where the whole person was developed. My two degrees were as a commuting student. On certain weekday afternoons, the parking lot would empty out as students returned home. I like the shift that I see today. In what could be a down-time for student activity, students were still hanging around campus. Even the student center lounge was filled with students enjoying each other's company.

When I return, I'll tour the Ghosh Computer Center and the Learning Resource Center. I like the placement of the new parking garage and the additional dormitories. I've read that the Commonwealth has granted money for a new Athletic Center (bravo) and a new dormitory.

I liked it when President Vairo began to beautify the campus. I have always thought that it would be advantageous to have a gathering space green space, a water fountain, or something striking that would form the connecting heart of the campus. A common place to gather would be vital for the life of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment