Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 12, 2012

St. Cecelia's Parish

I had Mass at St. Cecelia's parish in Boston today. I long wanted to worship there as many retreatants speak of this parish fondly. I was not disappointed. The 11:15 Mass was packed.

The building is very pleasant. The colors are a mix of vibrant earth tones that create a solemn reverence and a jubilant spirit. The parish building itself has a spacious parish lobby and quiet areas where conversations can be easily had. Many classrooms are finely appointed and they are rented out to the adjacent Berkeley School of Music during the weekdays. It is a well-crafted facility. It feels fresh and vigorous.

Today, the Cardinal Archbishop of Boston asked to address parishioners via a pre-recorded message instead of a homily. I did not get to hear the famed Fr. Unni preach, but I liked the message I heard from Cardinal O'Malley. He was speaking about the "Death with Dignity" referendum that is to be brought to a public vote by the Commonwealth's citizens this November. The tone of the Cardinal's message was respectful. I like that he urged people to pray and to visit those who are sick and in hospitals.

After Mass, I had brunch with two friends, who are fellow pilgrims on the October 2011 trip to Spain. It was good to be with them again.

Today is also the anniversary of one of my best friends in high school, David Seaver. He died during an unfortunate automobile accident in 1979 when the driver hit a telephone pole. Ironically, we nicknamed David "Abeless" because he was not able yet to grow a beard like the rest of us could, but the joke was on us because he died on Abraham Lincoln's birthday. May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment